• Chili peppers: 1
  • Bay leaves: 1
  • Rosemary: about 1 sprig
  • Tomato sauce: 3 tbsp
  • Water: as needed
  • Extra virgin olive oil: to taste
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Method

Tip: You can use dried chickpeas instead of canned ones – but remember to soak them in water the night before!
Rinse the chickpeas and put them in a pan along with the garlic, the bay leaf, the rosemary and a pinch of salt. Pour in enough water to cover the chickpeas and bring it to a gentle simmer.

Cut the bacon in small cubes and add them to the chickpeas when half of the water has already evaporated. Cook the chickpeas on medium heat until there is no more water or the chickpeas are completely cooked through, then put the chickpeas in a bowl.

Mince the onion and the chili pepper. Heat up the oil and quickly stir-fry both the onion and the chili in the same pan you previously used for the chickpeas. Add the tomato sauce and cook it for 2 to 3 minutes before adding the chickpeas, as well. Sauté all the ingredients together for a good 5 minutes, then remove the garlic, the bay leaf and the rosemary from the sauce; turn off the heat and cover the pan with a lid.

Boil the cavatelli in a pot of salted water; drain them when they still have a bit of a bite and add them to the sauce. Stir thoroughly.

Serve warm, topped with a drizzle of olive oil and some freshly ground black pepper.

A lovely comforting dish with a chilli kick. Smoked bacon would be good here, I think. Is the chilli traditionally added?

A lovely comforting dish with a chilli kick. Smoked bacon would be good here, I think. Is the chilli traditionally added?

If we refer to the Campania region’s version (my fave version of pasta e ceci) yes, it is traditionally added.
In Lazio region they add anchovies, it’s a particular taste.
Border Lazio/Tuscany they also add chestnuts!

Back
Top Bottom