Recipe & Video Chilli Chocolate and Orange Kulfi

murphyscreek

Veteran
Local time
7:50 AM
This is definitely one for an adult palate....i.e. not for sweet tooths!! Hahaha...

Recipe

Ingredients

3 cups full cream milk
1 cup thick pouring cream
1/4 cup full cream milk powder
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp chilli powder
50 gms 85% dark chocolate
1 tsp vanilla essence
Zest of 1 orange

Method
Bring liquid milk, cream, and powdered milk to simmer for 10 mins stirring frequently. Add sugar and chilli, and keep simmering/stirring for another 10 mins or so, or mixture has reduce to 1/3. Remove from heat, and stir in chocolate, vanilla, and orange zest, then allow to cool a little more. Pour mixture into kulfi moulds, or any substitute (I used cheap kids ice block makers), but also in to a suitable container for freezing as an alternative. Place in freezer at least 8 hours or overnight. If kulfi is in molds, decant by warming in molds in boiling water for a few seconds. Or scoop out kulfi from your container in to cones. You may need to let frozen kulfi mixture defrost for a few minutes first.

View: https://youtu.be/0qS6FJKJhwk

Last edited:
Very pretty! I like how you zoomed in close enough that we can see the flecks of orange zest.

This is also a great setup for another YouTube video: one where you give the ice cream cone to someone without telling them what it tastes like, and then record their reaction. I can see facial expressions going from excitement (thinking it's a sweet thing) to surprise (when the realization hits about the spicy element) and back to enjoyment (when your palate adjusts to the complexity of the flavor).

I'm not sure about the dairy terms.

Full cream milk... basically "whole milk" in the US?

Pouring cream... heavy cream?

I have no idea what full cream milk powder is.

CD :scratchhead:

If "full cream" means whole milk, i.e. not skim, 2%, light or heavy cream, then I would imagine it means whole milk powder, which is sold in the same area as evaporated and SWC milk in the grocery. I keep a bag in the freezer because 1 of the breads I make uses whole milk powder instead of liquid milk. It was originally a bread machine recipe so I'm sure that's why, no spoilage risk at room temp while standing for hours.

Yeah, I just mean not fat reduced or skim milk.

Back
Top Bottom