Chilli flakes & Chilli powder

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:06 AM
Do you use both chilli flakes and chilli powder? If so, how do you use them. What foods do you sprinkle chilli flakes over? And what different types of chilli flakes/powder do you have?

I only have 2 types of chilli powder - 'hot' and Kashmiri - the latter is a beautiful bright red. Of course I also have lots of dried chillies and also use various fresh types.

I've got four types of chilli flakes (see photo). My current favourite is the smoky hot Turkish Urfa. But I use the standard red chilli flakes a lot too - they really pretty up a dish.

fullsizeoutput_5007.jpeg

Sorry, the only flakes we have is McCormick's Crushed Red Chili Flakes. Ground, we have Ancho Chili Pepper and Cascabel Chili Pepper, with a few of each dried, waiting to be ground.
I took them off the shelf and set them on the counter. I asked DH to do something with them. They had been sitting up there for 6 or 7 years. That was 2 weeks ago. Guess what is still sitting there? Time for the garbage? lol

The wife grows all ours so we have a choice fresh, we are still getting chillies from the greenhouses
Or frozen, we freeze as we pick normally
Or chilly powder store bought.
Grown ones are mild to super hot.

Russ

Our chili flakes are home ground dried pequins and aleppo. We have store bought chili powder blends as well as pure powders, jalapeno, Trinidad scorpion, Carolina reaper, ghost, cayenne and chipotle. We have several whole dried chilis.

Don't throw them out - if they are dried they should be absolutely fine. I've had some that long too and still use them.
That's the problem. lol DH has NOT used them in all those years Do you have this old saying there? "Use it or lose it"

Some of them are in big jars and taking up a lot of space.

I have a variety of chilli products, from whole fresh, frozen or dried whole chillies, to ground up chilli powder to the bright red chilli seeds and flakes.
I'm able to more or less choose which fresh chillies I want. I do try to grow some, but also buy them (usually when they are reduced and have a short shelf life, hence them living in the freezer. dried chillies tend to be one kind only and I guess if I spoke or at least read Chinese, I may once upon a time have been able to tell you what they were.... But the chilli flakes are another matter. They don't tell you and they are simply bright red with seeds and flakes in them. No choice.
The closest to a choice that chilli powder has is hot or not hot. We usually get the hot one otherwise it generally needs 1 or 2 tbsp per quoted tsp from a recipe.

We have cayenne pepper (imported), dried chillies, chilli flakes and chilli powder.

The cayenne and chilli powder are added during the cooking process whereas the chilli flakes (ground chillies) are sprinkled over cooked noodles etc. The dried chillis are either used whole (and thereafter removed) or ground (pok-pok) by my wife for inclusion in Thai food.

chilli powder s.jpg

Well, I do have this article from last months Food Network mag. about some of the things they tried sprinkling chili powder on. They used it on dozen of things, but these were their favorites:
plain yogurt, olives, eggs, avocados, grilled cheese, grits, french fries, chocolate chip cookies, pickles, piece of chocolate cake, and mango sorbet.

I guess I could get DH to sprinkle it on his grilled cheese, it would be gone in no time. lol

Well, I do have this article from last months Food Network mag. about some of the things they tried sprinkling chili powder on. They used it on dozen of things, but these were their favorites:
plain yogurt, olives, eggs, avocados, grilled cheese, grits, french fries, chocolate chip cookies, pickles, piece of chocolate cake, and mango sorbet.

I guess I could get DH to sprinkle it on his grilled cheese, it would be gone in no time. lol

I've used it on all the above except choc chip cookies, piece of chocolate cake, mango sorbet - but that is only because I don't eat sweet things. Oh & grits 'cos I've never had grits.

Things I sprinkle with chilli flakes: Eggs as mentioned above - scrambled egg, omelette, fried eggs - any kind of egg! Olives (marinated with), cheese on toast, pizzas, potatoes baked or boiled, salads, bean dishes, stews of all kinds, pasta dishes, avocados, fish dishes, prawns (shrimp). In fact, I sprinkle with abandon over all manner of things! I treat them as a condiment like pepper and salt.

I've used it on all the above except choc chip cookies, piece of chocolate cake, mango sorbet - but that is only because I don't eat sweet things. Oh & grits 'cos I've never had grits.

Things I sprinkle with chilli flakes: Eggs as mentioned above - scrambled egg, omelette, fried eggs - any kind of egg! Olives (marinated with), cheese on toast, pizzas, potatoes baked or boiled, salads, bean dishes, stews of all kinds, pasta dishes, avocados, fish dishes, prawns (shrimp). In fact, I sprinkle with abandon over all manner of things! I treat them as a condiment like pepper and salt.
I don't know how you can handle all that heat. I feel sorry for my DH having to either do without or just put it on his food.

I feel sorry for my DH having to either do without or just put it on his food.
All the more reason he needs to grind up those chillies!

I sympathise with the fact that you have an issue with chillies - until last year my youngest (grown up) daughter & son lived at home. My daughter (a red-head) was super sensitive to chillies so I couldn't really use them in dishes I cooked for everyone. I very often cooked two different versions of a dish!

Back
Top Bottom