Chilli with/without beans

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
3:08 PM
[Mod.Edit: Posts moved to start a new topic (MG)]

I make chili with celery and beans (and other stuff, of course). I can't think of any other bean in which I add celery though. Don't know why, but I don't dislike it so it's not a big deal.
My sister in Texas won't put beans in her chili. She has won several chili cook-off contests, somehow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not surprised. I've seen chili in cans (tins) that don't have beans. I've never tried it but it must be popular enough to go on store shelves.
In my previous life I was a retail merchandiser inside of grocery stores. Having had to rearrange the entire "canned meats, soups, and vegetable" sections on multiple occasions, I too have seen canned chili with no beans. I have seen it with no meat as well. I never could wrap my head around canned food in general. My mother used to give us canned vegetables. I do have some canned soups and tuna in the pantry just in case of a zombie apocolypse, but they may expire before I ever eat them. Good thing they have a 5 year shelf life.

I'm not surprised. I've seen chili in cans (tins) that don't have beans. I've never tried it but it must be popular enough to go on store shelves.

Wolf Brand chili, no beans. It's a Texas canned staple. I like to pour it onto a big baked potato, and top it with some shredded cheddar cheese. It is also the chili of choice for Frito Pie.

CD

There are Texans who refuse to even think about putting beans in Chili. I like a good bowl of Texas chili, with or without beans.

CD

I’ve eaten chilli with and without beans and I liked both versions. Now the idea of chilli is running through my mind, I might have it soon. Probably with beans. What kind of beans so you recommend most? I don’t know if I can get Heinz baked beans (at least I have to look better into the international food shelf at Esselunga)
It would be ok with black beans?

Reactions: mjd
I’ve eaten chilli with and without beans and I liked both versions. Now the idea of chilli is running through my mind, I might have it soon. Probably with beans. What kind of beans so you recommend most? I don’t know if I can get Heinz baked beans (at least I have to look better into the international food shelf at Esselunga)
I like kidney and/or pinto beans in mine. Some people like black beans.

Well, in Texas, the beans of choice are pinto beans. If you can't get those, black beans are a good substitute. No baked beans, please.

CD

Well, in Texas, the beans of choice are pinto beans. If you can't get those, black beans are a good substitute. No baked beans, please.

CD

Ok thanks. As soon as I’ll go back to supermarket I’ll look for pinto and/or black beans. I’ll reserve baked beans for a Full English breakfast 😊

I use light red kidney beans in my beef chile. Craig's a no beaner. We've also made a chile using black-eyed peas and a vegetarian chile using black beans. In fact, the black bean chile is on our menu this week.

I think I created a Bean thread when I returned to CB back in November. A Chilli thread might be appropriate for all this Chilli discussion.

I love Beans and have them stocked up in different varieties.

I would eat chili without beans but when I'm doing it, I always go with beans. I don't care for the type of beans, most of them have the same taste for me, but I wouldn't use canned beans anymore and choose dry beans. I also add chocolate or corn, when I have it in my house. Stay healthy

I have not made Chilli in a month of Sundays it seems. Lately, I have only made it meatless, but always with Black Beans.

I can see the truth of having a Chilli with Meat only. That possibility only makes sense.

I will share what I really hate about some Chillis - ground Meat (ground Beef, Pork, Turkey, Chicken, whatever).

When I make Chilli with Meat, I do so using cubed Meats or in the case of Chicken or Turkey, large pieces.

My most preferred Chilli with Meat would include both Pork and Beef with the possible inclusion of Bacon.

Bacon can work out well in Chilli and for example, would go well with a Chicken Chilli.

Back
Top Bottom