Chocolate potato cake

roomwithamoose

Local time
6:15 AM
hello, all! I find myself in a bit of a pickle! I am making wood burned cutting boards for christmas gifts using family recipes. however, the recipe i am wanting to use for my aunt is only a partial recipe. i have the list of ingredients and the bake temp and that's pretty much it. I don't have the process instructions. I would probably wing it and figure it out, but I would feel terrible if I got something wrong. So i am here, wondering if anyone knows where I can find a recipe matching what i have to work with. Here is what I got:
1 cup unseasoned mashed potatoes hot
2 cups sugar, 2/3 cups shortening, 4 eggs unbeaten, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 2 cups sifted flour, 1/2 cup cocoa, 3 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 cup milk 1 cup chopped walnuts
preheat oven to 350

If anyone knows where I can find the rest of this recipe, I would be so so grateful! It was from my grandmother's recipe box, but she passed away in 2001, so I can't ask her. Thanks, in advance, guys!

lol yes, that is exactly it. these are just bamboo cutting boards from walmart with the recipes transfered to them then burned on with a wood burning stylus
pauline.jpg
sylvia.jpg

I found this recipe which is very similar to yours - I've commented on the ingredients list in red:

Ingredients
  • 1 cup butter, softened (yours says 2/3 cup shortening)
  • 2 cups sugar (same)
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature (yours is 4 eggs)
  • 1 cup cold mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter) (yours says hot)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (same)
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour (same)
  • 1/2 cup baking cocoa (same)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda (yours says 3 tsp)
  • 1 cup whole milk (yours says half a cup)
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (same)
In addition yours has 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp salt which are there to flavour so won't affect cooking method. Basically, your recipe has more eggs and less milk which should perhaps add up to a similar mix overall and similar baking time.

The recipe also includes a caramel icing for which there is a separate list of ingredients.

I hope this helps in some way. The recipe & method is here: Contest-Winning Chocolate Potato Cake

hello, all! I find myself in a bit of a pickle! I am making wood burned cutting boards for christmas gifts using family recipes. however, the recipe i am wanting to use for my aunt is only a partial recipe. i have the list of ingredients and the bake temp and that's pretty much it. I don't have the process instructions. I would probably wing it and figure it out, but I would feel terrible if I got something wrong. So i am here, wondering if anyone knows where I can find a recipe matching what i have to work with. Here is what I got:
1 cup unseasoned mashed potatoes hot
2 cups sugar, 2/3 cups shortening, 4 eggs unbeaten, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 2 cups sifted flour, 1/2 cup cocoa, 3 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 cup milk 1 cup chopped walnuts
preheat oven to 350

If anyone knows where I can find the rest of this recipe, I would be so so grateful! It was from my grandmother's recipe box, but she passed away in 2001, so I can't ask her. Thanks, in advance, guys!

This recipe sounds pretty intriguing! I may have to skip the nuts (can't eat many of them) but I like the potato being incorporated into the recipe.

there are a few recipes i can share that use potatoes and mashed potatoes if you'd like. potato candy is one of my favorites, but its very very sweet.

Thank you, morning glory, for the link to that potato cake! The process was spot on and my mom approved! I made two and she tasted one. She said it's an exact match for my grandmother's. My aunt is getting the second cake, the cutting board keepsake and the recipe

Thank you, morning glory, for the link to that potato cake! The process was spot on and my mom approved! I made two and she tasted one. She said it's an exact match for my grandmother's. My aunt is getting the second cake, the cutting board keepsake and the recipe

I'm so pleased it worked. Post photos next time!

Back
Top Bottom