Chocolate Sauce and Lentil Soup

Amateur1

Local time
10:05 PM
I saw this recipe and was thinking of incorporating it into some lentil soup. I have red split lentils

Recipe location: A Raw and Healthy Chocolate Fudge Sauce Recipe

Are there any obvious pitfalls I should avoid?
Should I add the chocolate sauce ingredients whilst preparing the lentil soup or at the end?
How many grams of lentils would you suggest?
Would I be able to freeze this soup as I would normal lentil soup?
I was thinking of 200g lentils and increasing the salt to 1 teaspoon, but I'm welcome to all suggestions.

Raw Chocolate Sauce Recipe​

YIELD 1/2 CUP

Ingredients​

• ¼ cup coconut oil
  • ½ cup cacao powder
  • 3 Tbsp maple syrup, or another liquid sweetener
  • pinch of salt

Instructions​

1. Heat the coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
  2. Add the cacao powder, maple syrup, and salt. Mix until combined and smooth.
  3. Use immediately or pour into a glass jar and let cool until thickened to your desired consistency.
  4. Store this chocolate fudge sauce in a sealed jar in the refrigerator. To soften the sauce after refrigerating, place the glass jar in a bowl of warm water.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea how well that chocolate suace will work with a lentil soup. What else is in the soup?

I'm sure I would make the chocolate sauce separately, and incorporate it into the lentils/soup a little at a time.

Good luck with this one. Let us know how this experiment works out.

CD

I may try some spinach or carrots to make it healthier.

Last edited:
All you can do is try it. If I were to experiment with that dish, I would add the chocolate sauce to the lentils a little at a time, and taste, until you find the right amount.

I would also suggest adding some kind of heat element, like chilis or chili powder, maybe cayenne powder to the sauce. Again, add the chili element a little at a time. The recipe you posted looks awfully sweet for a savory dish with lentils.

CD

Any other members want to chime in? I've said about all I know to say.

CD

Sorry, not in my wheelhouse. I can't wrap my head around it.

I saw this recipe and was thinking of incorporating it into some lentil soup. I have red split lentils

Recipe location: A Raw and Healthy Chocolate Fudge Sauce Recipe

Are there any obvious pitfalls I should avoid?
Should I add the chocolate sauce ingredients whilst preparing the lentil soup or at the end?
How many grams of lentils would you suggest?
Would I be able to freeze this soup as I would normal lentil soup?
I was thinking of 200g lentils and increasing the salt to 1 teaspoon, but I'm welcome to all suggestions.

Raw Chocolate Sauce Recipe​

YIELD 1/2 CUP

Ingredients​

• ¼ cup coconut oil
  • ½ cup cacao powder
  • 3 Tbsp maple syrup, or another liquid sweetener
  • pinch of salt

Instructions​

1. Heat the coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
  2. Add the cacao powder, maple syrup, and salt. Mix until combined and smooth.
  3. Use immediately or pour into a glass jar and let cool until thickened to your desired consistency.
  4. Store this chocolate fudge sauce in a sealed jar in the refrigerator. To soften the sauce after refrigerating, place the glass jar in a bowl of warm water.
first things first

Why are you looking at using a recipe for Raw Chocolate sauce and then heating it up or even cooking with it? That defeats the point of a raw food. This is something I'd expect you to be dipping raw crackers into by which I mean crackers made using Raw ingredients and not cooked but dehydrated so not even spreading over bread or toast because both have been cooked, or dipping celery or carrot sticks into. And even if you did want to eat it on toast or bread (neither of which is a raw food group) the last thing you'd do is add it to a cooked hot soup because all of the 'health' benefits of the cacao (not cocoa) are lost the moment you warm it above something like 42°C (the temperature above which food is no longer considered to be raw).

My understanding is that you are vegetarian not vegan and not following a raw food diet.
So let me ask you this:
  1. would you add nutella (or any other chocolate spread) to a vegetable based lentil soup?
  2. What is it that you are hoping to acheive by using this recipe?
  3. What is it about lentil soup that you don't like?
So pitfalls
  1. cooking a raw and "healthy" chocolate sauce will no longer make it raw or healthy.
  2. adding lentils is still not going to make it healthy.
  3. adding that much salt is certainly not going to make it healthy
  4. lentils need water to cook unless you're using tinned/canned lentils but you say red split lentils so not canned because they disintegrate and don't hold their shape, so no water and they don't cook.

Back
Top Bottom