Christmas 2022

Today’s advent offerings:

What´s all this then? Gouda is from Holland - on the North Sea. How does that become Mediterranean?

Now that I remember - we ALWAYS had port and stilton at Xmas. Why only Xmas, I´ve got no idea. In fact, I think it´s a culinary aberration to eat stilton only at Xmas.
(Note to self: buy some Stilton tomorrow. Sod the port)

What´s all this then? Gouda is from Holland - on the North Sea. How does that become Mediterranean?
I'm assuming it's got Mediterranean herbs/spices in it, those little flecks there...it's a fusion cheese. What, no mention that pilsner is a Czech thing? :wink:

That´s what I imagined. Plzeň (been there!) is where that wonderful liquid comes from. As Budweiser Budvar is also from there, the Czechs are amongst my personal heroes.
:popcorn::popcorn:

I took a look inside my hamper (after promising MrsT I wouldn’t until she gets home…as one naturally does :laugh: ) and found that little card.

I also found they subbed in Earl Grey tea for the breakfast tea, which MrsT will not be happy about at all, and I also noted this particular hamper is now out of stock.

Now that I remember - we ALWAYS had port and stilton at Xmas. Why only Xmas, I´ve got no idea. In fact, I think it´s a culinary aberration to eat stilton only at Xmas.
Well, we do have a lot of Gouda flavored with herbs and stuff here. So it's of course not meant to imply it's of Mediterranean origin, but that it has mediterranean herbs.

That´s what I imagined. Plzeň (been there!) is where that wonderful liquid comes from. As Budweiser Budvar is also from there, the Czechs are amongst my personal heroes.
:popcorn::popcorn:

While we are on this line of conversation -- Port vs Porto. If it comes from the Douro region of Portugal, it is Porto with a capital 'P.' If it is from anywhere else, it is port or port wine. It is just like Champaign vs Prosecco vs sparkling wine. It comes from a very particular place.

I am kind of a Porto snob. :smug:I can't drink it regularly anymore, but it is something I really enjoyed. I would order a good vintage Porto instead of dessert at a fine restaurant, and always had a few bottles of good vintage Porto in the house for the occasional after dinner treat, especially after a good steak.

CD

Thanks! You've just reminded me that we need to remember to get some Stilton.
I grew up in Stilton country so we ate it year round :hungry: and since we've moved away I really miss the Long Clawson white Stilton...even our local farm shop which has a cheese room doesn't stock it :( I may try to buy some online this year.

While we are on this line of conversation -- Port vs Porto. If it comes from the Douro region of Portugal, it is Porto with a capital 'P.' If it is from anywhere else, it is port or port wine. It is just like Champaign vs Prosecco vs sparkling wine. It comes from a very particular place.
Talking from a European perspective....Porto is the name of the city, Port is the name of the wine. I don't think I've ever seen Port sold as "Porto" over here (and it sounds really odd to me). Port is protected by the PDO designation so if its not produced in the Douro valley it simply cannot be called "Port" at all.....probably why there is no need to try to distinguish between genuine Port and other fortified wines.

Interestingly, if you go to the city of Porto you'll not actually find many of the Port houses.....they're just over the river in Villa Nova de Gaia. But I guess that wasn't so catchy a name :wink:

Saint Nicholas (Nikolaos of Myra) Christian Saint and Greek Bishop of Myra died on this day in 343. His reputation for secret gift-giving (such as putting coins in the shoes of those who left them out for him) made him the model for Santa Claus.

I also found they subbed in Earl Grey tea for the breakfast tea,

That is unforgivable considering the extortionate price you paid for that hamper. I think you might find that if you complain you will recieve some recompense. I'm serious - this is Harrods and they have a reputation to uphold.

No present buying this year.
TVC's brother and his wife are not having a family gathering on the 27th as they had a big do in September for their 50th wedding anniversary, we don't buy for each other so nothing to buy.

Back
Top Bottom