Christmas 2022

That is unforgivable considering the extortionate price you paid for that hamper. I think you might find that if you complain you will recieve some recompense. I'm serious - this is Harrods and they have a reputation to uphold.

In the depths of the past, I remember going to Harrod´s and being told: " If we haven´t got it here, we´ll give it to you for free".
That, of course, was when Harrod´s was a real store. Now it´s just a chintzy, eye-wateringly expensive place filled with concessionaires. And the absolute worst thing is that the Food Halls have been reduced in size and dumbed down. Selfridges has a better food hall now.

What CD said. :)

I think he meant hamper. Just a typo.

CD
Yep.

I'm serious - this is Harrods and they have a reputation to uphold.
Well…that may have been true in the past, but they did give me a forewarning - in the content descriptions of all the hampers I looked at, they’d plastered notices that they reserved the right to make product substitutions as they saw fit, due to any possible shortages.

Well, we do have a lot of Gouda flavored with herbs and stuff here. So it's of course not meant to imply it's of Mediterranean origin, but that it has mediterranean herbs.
I checked the back of the calendar and was surprised to find that all the Goudas (the calendar is heavy with Gouda) are indeed from The Netherlands. I know that Gouda is a Dutch cheese, but we don’t really honor where a food item comes from here (which is why we have California champagne and Wisconsin cheddar, etc), so I expected that Gouda to be produced here, but it’s not.

Today’s adventions:

I see I’ve covered the wine - is a Grenache from Spain.

I checked the back of the calendar and was surprised to find that all the Goudas (the calendar is heavy with Gouda) are indeed from The Netherlands. I know that Gouda is a Dutch cheese, but we don’t really honor where a food item comes from here (which is why we have California champagne and Wisconsin cheddar, etc), so I expected that Gouda to be produced here, but it’s not.
As far as I know Gouda is a protected name, just like Iberico and Parma hams for example.

Edit: yup Gouda Holland PGI / Noord-Hollandse Gouda PDO.

What CD said. :)

Yep.

Well…that may have been true in the past, but they did give me a forewarning - in the content descriptions of all the hampers I looked at, they’d plastered notices that they reserved the right to make product substitutions as they saw fit, due to any possible shortages.
Things are pretty dire if they even have to do that..

As far as I know Gouda is a protected name, just like Iberico and Parma hams for example.

Edit: yup Gouda Holland PGI / Noord-Hollandse Gouda PDO.
Yeah, but that’s my point, the US doesn’t really recognize a lot of those protections. For example, I can get dirt-cheap Gouda slices under the Kroger brand that definitely aren’t from The Netherlands. They’re probably from a cheese factory in New Jersey!

I’m hitting the store today, I’ll show you what I mean.

I’m hitting the store today, I’ll show you what I mean.
Ok, here’s an example:

I can buy this Gouda…

…but I can also buy this Gouda…

…and if I want something to wash all that down with, I can buy this champagne…

…which I will tell you is of a very good quality and a steal at $17US a bottle…and it’s produced by a highly-respected winery …that’s less than 10 miles from my house!

Talking about gift wrapping, I’m no great shakes at it myself:

Years ago, when we lived in Minnesota, one of the fancy-schmancy old-school department stores (either Dayton’s or Marshall Field’s) offered a class in proper professional-level gift-wrapping, and I found out about it too late to sign up, and then we’d moved before the next Christmas season.

I was dying to take that, because I’d have learned all the frilly bits, like ribbon work and how to match the patterns up so the whole thing looked cleaner.

Am I getting into the year end holiday spirit? I bought a Poinsetta plant on December 2nd. I even looked at fake Christmas trees - if i get one I want one that comes un-lit. The only one they had at Home Despot looked faker than Velveeta "cheese".

So I settled on the Pointsetta. I'll debate about a real tree later this month.

I do have to start writing up the cards, though!

Back
Top Bottom