Christmas 2022

This was the tree last night. I'll be taking it down today.

20230104_204825.jpg

This was the tree last night. I'll be taking it down today.

View attachment 94646
I’ve started the (very slow) process of taking ours down. I’ve removed the Victorian wire tinsel, the other tinsel, and the candy canes.

We’re thinking of leaving the tree up and decorating it for different holiday’s throughout the year, but I’m doubting that’ll happen.

It took 2 hours to remove the decorations from the tree, wrap each one by hand, and put into heavy duty cardboard boxes (all decorations are glass). Tinsel and lights come off last. And then the tree is left outside for the sheep to eat (don't ask, merino sheep eat anything and everything. They're as bad as goats in that respect).

And I've decided to recycle via freecycle the old tree lights with push in bulbs and the original remaining glass ornaments my mother purchased the Christmas I was born and gave to me the best part of 20 years ago. I've not used them once. Hubby and I have our own, and my mother has a theme called "PINK" in capitals for a reason.

These are those ornaments.

20230105_163600.jpg

I can't imagine anyone wanting them, but I'll put them up on freecycle and when I don't get a new home for them, I won't have to feel guilty about not trying. My mother keeps clearing things out and posting things to Australia, not telling me until it is in the post, so I get to have to find them a new home.

We started taking things down on Monday with the outside lights.... a bit early but it was a bank holiday and it wasn't rainy or windy so it seemed like a good idea. Last night we took the tree down in the kitchen-diner and the decorations from the hallway....things look a little bare right now. Tonight is the big one: the front room. This one takes quite a bit longer because the decorations are mostly glass (we buy a couple of things every year from Käthe Wohlfart when we go on holiday and they all have sentimental meaning) so it needs some care...the tree itself will then be stored on the driveway until next week when the garden waste people will take it away. We're going to leave the tree on the decking outside at the back until the weekend though...it'll be much easier to do it in daylight. This one will be taken away by the garden waste collection next week.

January is so depressing :thumbsdown:

It was always depressing for me when I worked for a living. My December salary would be paid around 15th December and then there was a 46 day wait until the next payment on 31st January.

We started taking things down on Monday with the outside lights.... a bit early but it was a bank holiday and it wasn't rainy or windy so it seemed like a good idea. Last night we took the tree down in the kitchen-diner and the decorations from the hallway....things look a little bare right now. Tonight is the big one: the front room. This one takes quite a bit longer because the decorations are mostly glass (we buy a couple of things every year from Käthe Wohlfart when we go on holiday and they all have sentimental meaning) so it needs some care...the tree itself will then be stored on the driveway until next week when the garden waste people will take it away. We're going to leave the tree on the decking outside at the back until the weekend though...it'll be much easier to do it in daylight. This one will be taken away by the garden waste collection next week.

We took all of ours down on Monday, a few houses I have walked past the last couple of days still have their trees up, I know the whole 12 days thing but no, all over and done with by Monday.

(we buy a couple of things every year from Käthe Wohlfart when we go on holiday and they all have sentimental meaning)
We have several from Käthe Wohlfart, including this new purchase this year, which was one of MrsT’s gifts, replacing a very ratty one her mom gave her probably 45 years ago (or more):

647BD68C-9B5A-4298-855C-E46334D529D0.jpeg

That had to be rough, but that’s a good way to carry them forward.
Yes, she'll make good use of them. I'm not Christian so the holiday itself has no resonance for me, none of the memories, emotions, and associations most people here in the US have, it's just another day for me. But having something she liked in the hands of someone I love who celebrates the holiday is a gift to me.

Well, we’ve decided…at least for the time-being, the three mere is staying up, to be decorated for different holidays throughout the year.

My job on Saturday…finding a string of pink lights for Valentine’s Day. :eek:

SatNavSaysStraightOn - I need those pink ornaments you have! :laugh:

Thank goodness I´m not in Caracas, because my wife does the most elaborate tree decorations, plus all sorts of ornaments all over the house, then expects me to spend an entire day removing them in January. We´ve got boxes and boxes of Christmas decorations cluttering up the garage. Silver Xmas, Red Xmas, Blue Xmas, Gold Xmas, OMG.

Back
Top Bottom