Christmas 2022

I looked it up, and there is a women in that movie who isn't white. I'm not sure if she is Black, or Asian, or Indian, or mixed race... but she is not white. I guess Hallmark had to find someone not white that wouldn't offend their target audience. I guess that's a step forward???

CD
The male lead in that one is of Egyptian heritage, and the “older, wiser neighbor” (a Hallmark Christmas movie staple) is Black, so, yeah, they’re getting a lot better from just five years ago.

The earlier one we watched, one of the supporting couples is gay, and in the past, whenever there was a gay couple, it was always, “Hi! We’re gay! Isn’t that fun?! Welcome to our gay house/B&B/shop! Did I mention we’re gay?!”

Now, though, no overt mention, nothing OTT, nothing any different than if they’d been any other couple. They weren’t a caricature of a gay couple. That’s the kind of progress I like.

They’re also featuring more movies where the main couple are minority or same-sex, and that includes women as couples, which for some odd reason, never seemed to ever be acknowledged as even existing. If you had a gay couple (or even a gay singleton), it would be men/a man.

AARRGGHHH! Christmas in October!! :hyper: :hyper:
Rumour has it that Christmas will be officially declared in June next year....
Don’t tease me like that! :laugh:

For the record, The Hallmark Channel does show a spate of Christmas movies in July, under their…wait for it…”Christmas in July” event.

Ordered an advent calendar for the first time. The French specialty shop had one with 24 different paté 's & tartines ( sweet spreads) so something different for my breakfast all of december sounded great to me!

The male lead in that one is of Egyptian heritage, and the “older, wiser neighbor” (a Hallmark Christmas movie staple) is Black, so, yeah, they’re getting a lot better from just five years ago.

The earlier one we watched, one of the supporting couples is gay, and in the past, whenever there was a gay couple, it was always, “Hi! We’re gay! Isn’t that fun?! Welcome to our gay house/B&B/shop! Did I mention we’re gay?!”

Now, though, no overt mention, nothing OTT, nothing any different than if they’d been any other couple. They weren’t a caricature of a gay couple. That’s the kind of progress I like.

They’re also featuring more movies where the main couple are minority or same-sex, and that includes women as couples, which for some odd reason, never seemed to ever be acknowledged as even existing. If you had a gay couple (or even a gay singleton), it would be men/a man.

Don’t tease me like that! :laugh:

For the record, The Hallmark Channel does show a spate of Christmas movies in July, under their…wait for it…”Christmas in July” event.

My mom LOVES the Hallmark channel. If she finds out they have movies with same-sex couples, she'll stop watching the channel. As she would say, the first humans were Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. :laugh: But, in her world, the universe was created in six days, and that was around 6,000 years ago.

CD

I’m watching “vintage” Christmas TV commercials from the 1970’s & 1980’s. Amazing how many companies no longer exist.

They may show it on Britbox as part of their holiday collection, but I’m sure I could find it online somewhere. It’s a good show (Felicity Kendal & Penelope Keith 😍🥰).

Here it’s called Good Neighbors.
Yeah it’s on Daily Motion and YouTube. I’ll watch it this week sometime. Thanks!

I've thinking of buying a Christmas calendar from Kinder but those things are lost on me, I always end up eating all of the chocolate on the same day, it's best I just buy one of those boxes with 8 chocolate bars, it's always cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom