Christmas 2022

Just popped into my head, one of my favourite lyrics by Everything but the Girl.

"Every day's like Christmas day without you...
It's cold and there's nothing to do"
My favorite Christmas lyric is:

Holly in the window,
Homeward the wind blows.
Canā€™t walk for runninā€™,
Christmastimeā€™s a-cominā€™!

Itā€™s that utter excitement contained in the last two lines that makes it for me, because thatā€™s how I always feel at Christmas, like I want to do everything all at once right now.

HereĀ“s another one, reflecting the increasing doom-laden crisis, which, according to the BBC, will probably end in Armaggedon. Sing along!

Hark the herald angel sings,
Xmas lunch is turkey wings,
Xmas pud with brandy butter,
Those are words we cannot utter.
RishiĀ“s put the screws on spending,
All my monthly payments pending,
CanĀ“t assure no Xmas cheer,
CanĀ“t afford a pint of beer,
WeĀ“ll just huddle round the fire,
Energy prices will be dire.

HereĀ“s another one, reflecting the increasing doom-laden crisis, which, according to the BBC, will probably end in Armaggedon. Sing along!

Well, if you're wanting depressing, it's hard to top Merle Haggard's offering:

If we make it through December
Everything's going to be alright, I know
It's the coldest time of winter
And I shiver when I see the falling snow
Got plans to be in a warmer town come summer time
Maybe even California
If we make it through December, we'll be fine

Got laid off down at the factory
And their timing's not the greatest in the world
Heaven knows I've been working hard
Wanted Christmas to be right for daddy's girl
I don't mean to hate December
It's meant to be the happy time of year
But my little girl don't understand
Why daddy can't afford no Christmas here

Everything's going to be alright, I know
It's the coldest time of winter
And I shiver when I see the falling snow
Got plans to be in a warmer town come summer time
Maybe even California
If we make it through December, we'll be fine

Now, I'm a big fan of melancholy. I love it, because you can't feel glad until you feel sad, and what I always loved about this song is, the weary way Haggard sings this, you know that they didn't make it through December. Nope.

Tonight Hallmark offering:

Synopsis: big-city real estate employee, in hopes of being named executive VP, must travel to a small Alaskan town to buy a B&B.

The catch? Her ex owns the B&Bā€¦and of course the deal has to be done by Christmas!

Will they? Wonā€™t they? Of course they will, itā€™s Hallmark! :laugh:

Tonight Hallmark offering:

View attachment 91857

Synopsis: big-city real estate employee, in hopes of being named executive VP, must travel to a small Alaskan town to buy a B&B.

The catch? Her ex owns the B&Bā€¦and of course the deal has to be done by Christmas!

Will they? Wonā€™t they? Of course they will, itā€™s Hallmark! :laugh:
Oh and this one has a thinly-disguised big reveal comingā€¦

Oh and this one has a thinly-disguised big reveal comingā€¦
Yepā€¦the big reveal was
that Andy the ex is the son of ā€œFrank Holliday,ā€ who wants Andy to take over the ā€œfamily business,ā€ called ā€œHolliday Shipping,ā€ and ā€œFrankā€™sā€ favorite food is cookies, though his wife wants him to eat more salads, which he refers to as ā€œreindeer food,ā€ and heā€™s a little fat and has a white beardā€¦yep, heā€™s Santa!

One thing my wife always laughs about regarding any Hallmark Christmas movies that involves a woman going from the big city to a small town:

Itā€™s always emphasized thatā€™s itā€™s a short visit (in this case, six days) to a very, very small, isolated rural community, yet the woman will have a different heavy wool ankle-length winter coat each night (and matching hat, scarf, and gloves), a different pair of shoes for each day, and different ones again for each night, and usually an evening dress for the unexpected village Christmas mixer. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom