Christmas Food & Drink

She only uses margarine -- and very little. She thinks it is healthier, even though it is not. For eggs, she uses PAM spray oil, which is just vegetable oil in a spray can. It is embarrassing at fine dining restaurants when she tells the waiter, grill my fish dry, no butter, and no olive oil. Same for the veggies on the side... dry, no fats. She would do that at a 3-Michelin Star restaurant.

Don't get me started on seasoning. No salt. No pepper.

She likes my cooking, but I can't let her see what I'm doing.

CD

Talking of salt, my late mum when boiling veges, about 2 to 3 teaspoons salt every pot. Then she boiled the sh$& out of them. I hardly use salt.

Russ

I'll look forward to that then - only 2 years to go. I'll have to work on ideas for what I'll demand.
You can borrow one of my dad's favorites - when the wait staff isn't fast enough for your liking, walk back into the kitchen just like you own the place and help yourself to bread or whatever else is out. :laugh:

My dad spent many, many years in the fountain drink business, so he's naturally very much at home in a restaurant kitchen, but it's still funny to watch.

The first time I saw him do it, he ordered hot tea, and he specifically told the waitress to heat the water up for a few seconds in the microwave, because straight from the tap on the coffeemaker wasn't hot enough.

She brought it out, and it wasn't very hot at all, so when she came back, he told her the water wasn't hot enough, and to pour it into his cup and to go heat that up in the microwave, but she just said that she'd bring him some more. She'd did, but it was the same water from the coffeemaker again.

When she came back, he checked the water, muttered to himself, poured it into his cup, then marched right into the kitchen, found the microwave, and heated his water up.

Now, had 42yo me done that, I'd have been out on my backside post haste, but when 70yo Dad did it, all he got was, "Just hurry up, you're not supposed to be back here." :laugh:

My dad spent many, many years in the fountain drink business, so he's naturally very much at home in a restaurant kitchen, but it's still funny to watch.

The first time I saw him do it, he ordered hot tea, and he specifically told the waitress to heat the water up for a few seconds in the microwave, because straight from the tap on the coffeemaker wasn't hot enough.

She brought it out, and it wasn't very hot at all, so when she came back, he told her the water wasn't hot enough, and to pour it into his cup and to go heat that up in the microwave, but she just said that she'd bring him some more. She'd did, but it was the same water from the coffeemaker again.

When she came back, he checked the water, muttered to himself, poured it into his cup, then marched right into the kitchen, found the microwave, and heated his water up.

Now, had 42yo me done that, I'd have been out on my backside post haste, but when 70yo Dad did it, all he got was, "Just hurry up, you're not supposed to be back here." :laugh:

It's all about confidence. I never pay to get into the races, just confidence and a good story,lol.

Russ

Since we were talking about gargantuan turkey sizes, this is from Kroger today:

I checked the freezer, most of the turkeys were between 25-26 lbs, though they did have a couple in the 30lbs category.

Since we were talking about gargantuan turkey sizes, this is from Kroger today:

I checked the freezer, most of the turkeys were between 25-26 lbs, though they did have a couple in the 30lbs category.
I'm assuming the middle column is the price per pound? That's REALLY cheap - even for a frozen bird :ohmy: - it works out at just 25p per pound, or 55p per kilo. In comparison then cheapest frozen turkey I can find in Tesco (a UK mainstream supermarket) is £4.10 per kilo which equates to £1.86 / $2.44 per lb. How can the farmers even afford to raise them for such a low price? I'm guessing they were raised as quickly and cheaply as possible so I'm not surprised they don't have much flavour :(

I know some people can't afford to be choosy, but I won't buy low-welfare mass-farmed birds - I only buy free range. And if it means I have to east less meat in order to be able to afford to buy better quality then that's something I'm willing to do. When we buy a Christmas turkey from our local smallholding we pay around £13 per kilo (£5.91 / $7.75 per pound) so a 5kg bird usually costs us around £65 ($85), but I know that its had a good life.

I'll look forward to that then - only 2 years to go. I'll have to work on ideas for what I'll demand.
Rather you than me, although some of the "proper" Asian restaurants will let you order off menu.

When I was in Greece 50 years ago, it was still the norm if you wanted hot food to go straight to the kitchen and choose what you wanted to eat, as once the food was cooked it was left to get cold.

As for Christmas, I don't even know whether I'll be at home or at my daughter's - I usually go there at some point over the holidays but it can be any day between Christmas Day and the 30th depending on what they are doing and who else will be there. Sometimes I take food with me (the dreaded phone call "Mum, we've run out of/forgotten to get....."), other times I'm given strict orders not to, although I sometimes take sourdough, jam, pickles etc (all homemade) as a pressie. I always take a pint of milk though as she usually gets homogenised milk. The last time I didn't bother I ended up have some of her lactose-free milk because I just couldn't tolerate more than the odd cup of tea or coffee with the homogenised stuff. Greek goodies will abound too.

I shall still get/already have a duck, lamb, beef, turkey breast joint, chicken, pork and a bacon joint to choose from. I always have duck on Christmas day with a bacon joint and any one of the others, leftovers on Boxing Day, and freeze the rest. Over New Year I cook three out of whatever others are left on New Years Eve, leftovers on New Years Day and freeze the rest. With a bit of ingenuity (and a decent freezer), that means I have enough meat to last me until Easter, when I buy again and that will leave me enough to last until August. Some of the meat will be organic and some will not. It really depends on price.

Other must haves at Christmas are Christmas pudding, Christmas cake, gingerbread, stollen and panettone, and of course bread sauce (usually homemade) and stuffing plus a selection of veg including Brussel sprouts. Wherever I am, red wine will be flowing.

If I'm at home, the mutt and the cats will share some of the meat. If I'm not, then they will get what they are given. Someone usually donates doggy Christmas dinners to the greyhound kennels, so he won't miss out, but I doubt whether the cats will be that lucky.

I'm assuming the middle column is the price per pound? That's REALLY cheap - even for a frozen bird :ohmy:

Yes, that's the price per pound. That's a special price, good this week only, and you have to have a shopper's loyalty card to get it. Also, those are shop's-own-brand turkeys, not one of the popular brands. Normal price is $1.50/lb.

Who knows, they may be loss leaders, just to get you in there to buy all the other stuff (that's not so marked down).

We prefer a fresh turkey over frozen. There is a place locally called the Delaware Chicken Farm that a few years ago got a shipment of fresh turkeys that were left out side by the delivery driver because the place wasn't open yet. All were condemned by the health dept. and had to be tossed. I never heard whether the delivery driver lost his job.

I'm assuming the middle column is the price per pound? That's REALLY cheap - even for a frozen bird :ohmy: - it works out at just 25p per pound, or 55p per kilo. In comparison then cheapest frozen turkey I can find in Tesco (a UK mainstream supermarket) is £4.10 per kilo which equates to £1.86 / $2.44 per lb. How can the farmers even afford to raise them for such a low price? I'm guessing they were raised as quickly and cheaply as possible so I'm not surprised they don't have much flavour :(

I know some people can't afford to be choosy, but I won't buy low-welfare mass-farmed birds - I only buy free range. And if it means I have to east less meat in order to be able to afford to buy better quality then that's something I'm willing to do. When we buy a Christmas turkey from our local smallholding we pay around £13 per kilo (£5.91 / $7.75 per pound) so a 5kg bird usually costs us around £65 ($85), but I know that its had a good life.

Turkey is pretty cheap in the US. Kroger used to have "Turkey Bucks," where you earned points buying your regular groceries, and once you got enough points, you got a free turkey. I gave my turkey bucks to a local food bank, since I never cook a whole turkey. A lot of people did that.

CD

Turkey is pretty cheap in the US. Kroger used to have "Turkey Bucks," where you earned points buying your regular groceries, and once you got enough points, you got a free turkey. I gave my turkey bucks to a local food bank, since I never cook a whole turkey. A lot of people did that.

CD
I worked for Cargill as a contractor for about nine months. They own the Honeysuckle White brand, and everybody, even us lowly contractors, got a free turkey at Thanksgiving.

Back
Top Bottom