Christmas Food & Drink

Many years ago a friend of mine used to work for a large UK food manufacturers. Every Christmas he used to get a free turkey from them. As a single bloke, the last thing he wanted was a large turkey. He used to give it to us on the condition that we invited him round for Christmas. No problem there. Apart from the turkey, they could get food cheap (or free if it was customer returns just past their best before date). We used to eat well.

I worked for Cargill as a contractor for about nine months. They own the Honeysuckle White brand, and everybody, even us lowly contractors, got a free turkey at Thanksgiving.

Was the Honeysuckle turkey good? One of the local chains is advertising them, but neither of us has ever heard of them.

Was the Honeysuckle turkey good? One of the local chains is advertising them, but neither of us has ever heard of them.
They're on par with the other two national brands that I'm familiar with - Butterball and Jennie-O. Nothing spectacular, but nothing that'll make you kick the dog, either.

I would say they are perhaps a little better than Butterball, but not stellar. Certainly not any worse.

CD

I've pushed the boat out and ordered myself some organic venison for Christmas and an organic cheese box. I shall be getting a couple of bottles of organic wine too - they say it's 14% but it's stronger than that. One glass a day will do me unless I'm driving. I've stocked up with some juniper and tonic, which is like a non-alcoholic gin and tonic and tastes quite pleasant, and last week on the greyhound walk I won a bottle of mulled wine in their raffle. I've only ever had home made mulled wine before, but other people who have had this one say it's good.

Ok, I've got the Christmas Day menu pretty much set:

Standing rib roast
Accordion potato gratin
Brown butter honey-glazed carrots
Yorkshire puds
Christmas pud (store-bought)

I'm waiting on what second dessert the wife chooses, and I think I need to come up with a Christmas cocktail. There will also be mulled wine involved.

There is a brand of spiked egg nog available in December here called Pennsylvania Dutch Egg Nog. Good stuff, and pretty potent. It has Tennessee whiskey and dark rum in it, IIRC. I usually buy a case or two for family, friends and GOOD customers. I keep a bottle for myself, too.

CD

My Christmas menu will be Gourmetten on day one. A typical Dutch tradition. My stepsons will be there too.

Ins and outs of the Dutch Christmas tradition: Gourmetten
We will have premium steak, chicken, pork tenderloin, hamburgers, salmon and shrimp for the gourmet. Also vegetables, sauces and bread.

The second day it's just me and my husband and we will have deer steaks with red wine- cranberry sauce, gratin Dauphinois and green beans. Dessert will be chocolate pavlova with whipped cream and raspberries as done by Nigella Lawson.

My Christmas menu will be Gourmetten on day one. A typical Dutch tradition. My stepsons will be there too.

Ins and outs of the Dutch Christmas tradition: Gourmetten
We will have premium steak, chicken, pork tenderloin, hamburgers, salmon and shrimp for the gourmet. Also vegetables, sauces and bread.

The second day it's just me and my husband and we will have deer steaks with red wine- cranberry sauce, gratin Dauphinois and green beans. Dessert will be chocolate pavlova with whipped cream and raspberries as done by Nigella Lawson.
Your gourmetten sounds very convivial!

That's the only downside I see to being overly socially introverted like I am - I would love to partake in a spread of many different foods, but when it's just two people, it makes it hard, unless I want to prepare 1/4-servings of this, that, and the other. I think that's why I've been drawn to doing lots of appetizers over the last several nights.

With just two people, our holiday meal will be pretty much a meat-and-two-veg affair. It'll be good, but I'd love to have lots of finger foods to sample at the same time.

I'm invited down to Christmas dinner back in my old town. My friend makes the same set of things every year - standing beef roast, brussels sprouts, carrots, a salad. Since her husband is now diabetic, dessert is minimized. I will bring a side of still-uncertain nature. There will only be four of us: my friend, her husband, her husband's brother, and myself. There is an outside chance that her sister and the sister's long-term boyfriend MAY attend but since they live 3-4 hours away these days, it may not happen. I've been offered an overnight bed. So, it will be 4-6 of us total - I LIKE small parties such as this. Tasty. I am also socially introverted.

Actual family will be gathering in St. Petersburg FL, and it is something from the snows of New England that I cannot commit to get to, at this time of year. Especially since I can't see having people trod across who knows what sorts of snow/ice conditions down to my chickens for me. That's about 250 feet from the back door. My brother is a social extrovert and will no doubt have all sorts of neighbors over - whom I'd have nothing in common with, and it would be awkward on my part.

(But i have to say, he's an excellent cook...)

Our traditional Christmas meal is sweets in the morning with coffee. After church we do a brunch. My wife makes a spinach quiche and a ham and cheese quiche. Then for dinner we just snack on this and that.

MrsTasty At Thanksgiving: "When we go out for breakfast Christmas morning..."

MrsTasty 15 Dec: "If we go out for breakfast Christmas morning...

MrsTasty this morning: "What are you thinking of making for breakfast Christmas morning?"

Back
Top Bottom