Christmas Food & Drink

I usually make MOINK balls for New Year's Eve. I made... well attempted to make some a few years ago at a friend's house on his expensive, high-tech grill-smoker. It had some special grease pan thing that prevents flare ups. I opened the lid to check the MOINKS, and flames shot up about five feet. My friend was pretty bummed out. It does make you aware of how much fat those things have in those things.

CD

That is why I use the Egg, no flare ups.

Lunch today: leek, potato and gruyere cheese topped with serrano ham, served with a glass of Asti.

I used to like turkey when I was younger, us 3 kids took it in turns to have a leg, still enjoy chewing around a chicken bone but gone off turkey and my husband doesn't like it so we don't bother.

We are having a chinese/korean style buffet but not all at once, just grazing. We have had veggie gyoza for a snack and will eat again later.

This is a pie my mom used to make, and she got it from her mother. This one, though, is from Midwest Living, though my mom looked at the recipe and said, "That sounds about right," so I guess it is.

The crust gets a little pre-baking, and it really pulled away from the pan. I knew it would, but the recipe said to just line it with foil and didn't mention any weights, so I took a chance. It'll still get eaten.

Lunch was made yesterday ahead of time because it needs to marinate for a while first. The yoghurt was made several days ago, then strained yesterday to thicken.

It's quite a rich dish despite being totally vegan. Chickpea salad with warmed wilted spinach and rocket leaves in a tamari sauce. The chickpeas were cooked in turmeric, garlic and cumin to give added flavour, their dressing is cumin, coriander, turmeric, paprika, parsley, olive oil (rather a lot of) and several other ingredients I can't quite remember but spring onions and onions come to mind.

A homemade almond nut feta was also finished today (baked in the oven at 6am this morning whilst life was still cool). That's to serve crumbled over the salad.

The pavlova was made this morning, I'll make the cashew nut cream shortly. The fruit will be cut up soon. It's 9am right now.

The dairy free eggnog was made yesterday.

I think that's it. Evening meal, if we even eat, will be the cold soup (red cabbage and beetroot with beetroot pickled eggs if we fancy them).

Back
Top Bottom