Christmas Food & Drink

Cooking now is the leg of lamb,turkey and pickled pork.then later new potatoes and peas from the garden along with baby carrots, then roasted potatoes ,pumpkin, carrots , sweet potatoes and parsnip. Gravy and cranberry sauces, and mint sauce. Cooking for 10 but wife's brother and his partner may be calling in so, maybe 12? Plenty of food, mr7opened most of his pressies. Skateboard and scooter and clothes. Rest when his cousins get here. I love Xmas!!

Russ

Prime rib is salted and in the fridge. Karen made the Italian wedding/cream cake and the homemade spinach pasta is made. I'm getting ready to slice onions, chop garlic and get the Marsala out for the sauce. In the morning, I'll get the moink balls prepped.

And the rustic country bread for the mushroom bread pudding.

I also carefully cracked the eggs for the cake and the pasta, washed them and let them dry to use as truffle molds tomorrow. I'll be lucky to get through helping Craig roll out the pasta. I'm beat.

Here we go with that boxed cockerel:

Oh - it includes a guide to cooking!

Its not too frightening after all:

Here it is with juniper butter inserted under the skin of the breast, sausage meat stuffing at the neck end and half an orange, plus herbs in the cavity:

Then bacon over the top:

And its all ready to cook tomorrow. Its approx. 10lbs so much, much bigger than a chicken. About 2.5 hours cooking I think...

Bearing in mind that Christmas day is usually well over 35°C we now eat salads and pavlova. Our traditional meal was just too hot to eat (both heat and chilli hot).

So now we have Chickpea Salad with spinach and rocket.

Served with a baked almond nut feta cheese. We're not sure about the feta style but it was delicious as it was and definitely a repeat.

Served together

The salad itself is served with a Greek style soya yoghurt with fresh coriander and lemon juice in it. I had pre-strained the yoghurt to thicken it which worked.

Dessert was Australian style and this year the meringue was spit on for our liking. Crunchy on the outside and gooey soft and chewy inside. I didn't quite get the cashew nut cream correct adding 1 cup of water rather than the needed ½ cup. Ah well, can't win them all.

As with all good pavlova, tomorrow it will be an Eton mess!

Finally the whole thing was rounded off homemade dairy free eggnog.

Not my most successful Christmas meal I'm afraid.

I decided to keep the prawns separate from the main dish.

The wine was a cheap Cabernet Sauvingnon.

Filet Mignon rare.

Beef with English mustard, roast potatoes, sweet corn and cauliflower with bérnaise sauce.

:hungry: looks really tasty.

Breakfast on Christmas morning... I've been watching lots of Christmas food TV programmes and they often include ideas for breakfast. For me the idea of eating anything more than a morsel of something for Xmas day breakfast is very odd to me. There is going to be a table groaning with food for Xmas lunch and I want to feel hungry before I consume it.

But hey! That's me and I never eat breakfast in any case. Maybe a new thread for Xmas breakfast ideas?

We don't serve heavy meals so a relaxing breakfast is the perfect way to start the day. A long walk to work up an appetite for a light lunch, then the main meal in the evening, again not heavy.

Back
Top Bottom