6:27 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
guac served avo tomato.jpg

Uses for Guacamole:

• A dip for tortillas.
  • A dip for a veggie platter.
  • A dressing/topping for quesadillas.
  • Use this instead of straight up avocado for avocado toast.
  • Just spoon it in directly into your mouth. (This time, this was my use!)

Obviously, scale this recipe up for the number of people who may be gnoshing down on this condiment or side.

Prep Time: 20minutes.
Cook Time: WHAT??? Nope, no cooking involved.
Rest Time: You can let it rest in the fridge a couple of hours for flavors to meld. Or, not.
Serves: Depends on what one is using this for. For a large party using this as a dip, double, possibly triple, the recipe.
Cuisine: Mexican.
Leftovers: You may get a day or two extra use out of this if you cover it so there’s little air / oxygen to discolor it. Extra lime juice may help when you go to store it. BTW, a little brown won’t hurt, although you don't want to provide it to guests that way.

Guacamole!

• 2 ripe avocadoes (as noted, I generally buy extra, just in case….)
  • Juice of one large lime.
  • 1 small onion (about 1.5 ounces / 70 grams, diced finely.
  • 1 small Roma tomato (about 4.5 ounces / 125 grams), diced finely.
  • 1 crushed garlic clove
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon of ground cayenne or chipotle pepper. (I used chipotle. You can also use less of this spice if you prefer very mild.)
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
  • Two or three chopped sprigs cilantro (coriander leaf), optional.

Remove the skin and pit from the avocado pulp, and discard. Slice and chop the avocado pulp into a bowl, add the lime. Gently mix, with the tines of a fork. (If you prefer a smooth guacamole, you can be more vigorous).

Add all the other ingredients into the avocado/lime.

I like my guacamole moderately chunky, others like it smooth. (Actually, I like it any way I can get it!) If you prefer it smooth, here you can bring out your stick blender or other food processor, and blend/pulse to the degree of mix you prefer.

Cover as tightly as possible, and reserve in refrigerator until use, preferably soon if you will be entertaining and wish to prevent brown discoloration.

Shortly prior to serving, take a taste, and adjust the seasonings listed above to your preference.

NOTE: If you like, remove the seeds from the tomato prior to mixing. An optional step I’ve never needed, but others might prefer.

There are a number of different ways to make guacamole, and I like all of them (as long as there's a fresh avocado, it's hard to mess it up). I actually made some last night...and this is where I'm reminded of why it's a good idea to buy multiple avocados: they were a bit riper than I thought, so I had to scoop around the brown parts, limiting the amount of good stuff.

I typically leave out peppers, unless they're mild peppers. I figure that I can pair a mild guacamole with fresh peppers, salsa, or hot sauce if I want a hotter dish.

I also definitely prefer a chunky guacamole to a smooth one: I've seen people put the whole business in a food processor: the flavor's still there, but I miss the texture and the colors.

After a lifetime of disliking avocados I'm now coming round to rather liking them sometimes. I definitely prefer chunky.:okay:

I just gave an example of a replacement and/or add-in for guacamole. Because one doesn't care for alternate suggestions, doesn't mean it can't be changed or replaced.

Last edited:
:)
Guacamole requires avocado and there is no substitute for it. I can't get my mind around replacing it with soy beans

By definition or 'authentically' maybe - but who is to say we can't we make variations and substitutions if we choose? Its part of the fun of cooking.

However, I agree that avocado is a very specific ingredient and hard to replace. And I personally wouldn't much like edamame beans as a substitute because I think they are a bit tasteless. Or at least, the ones that I've had are. Could be that we don't get good ones here!

If looking for a low fat substitute, I'd probably use oven baked courgettes mixed with the rest of the familiar guacamole ingredients - which may sound odd but I reckon it would work quite well. In fact, I'm going to have to try it. :thumbsup: See here for the basic recipe for the courgettes: Recipe - Smoky Courgette Dip. I would chop them roughly rather than puree.

There was/is a shortage of Haas avos for the last few months due to adverse weather during growing season, driving prices up. Apparently some places started using a Mexican squash, calabacitas, kind of zucchini looking, to make "guacamole." It makes an emulsified puree, so no chunky guac, but reportedly tastes very similar. See the Newsweek article.

The high price of avocados is leading some restaurants to experiment with fake guacamole

I don't think avos are bland and tasteless. Sure, they need salt and pepper at a minimum to bring out their flavor, but so do nearly all other foods...

Last edited:
There was/is a shortage of Haas avos for the last few months due to adverse weather during growing season, driving prices up. Apparently some places started using a Mexican squash, kind of zucchini looking, to make "guacamole." It makes an emulsified puree, so no chunky guac, but reportedly tastes very similar. See the Newsweek article.

We had avos at $12 ea a few months ago, people were sneaking into orchards and stealing them, in there 100s. A real black market was going on. We bought 2 the other day for $2. The grandkids eat them on toast.

Russ

We had avos at $12 ea a few months ago, people were sneaking into orchards and stealing them, in there 100s. A real black market was going on. We bought 2 the other day for $2. The grandkids eat them on toast.

Russ
The price is the same here.

Like I mentioned in my recent thread "Avocados - That's a lot of Guacamole," post #3 as I recall, apparently, sadly, some Mexican restaurants were using squash for guacamole due to the high price of "avos"......!!!
Eventually, the copycats get caught.

Last edited:
If you worry about fat (even though avos are a good fat), you could add or substitute the avocado with edamame. Edamole.

Edamole - that's a thought! Although I do admit appreciating the healthy fats of avocado (probably because my food plan tends to go more to the low carb end of things... which means I need healthy fats like avocado around).

There was/is a shortage of Haas avos for the last few months due to adverse weather during growing season, driving prices up. Apparently some places started using a Mexican squash, calabacitas, kind of zucchini looking, to make "guacamole." It makes an emulsified puree, so no chunky guac, but reportedly tastes very similar. See the Newsweek article.

The high price of avocados is leading some restaurants to experiment with fake guacamole

I don't think avos are bland and tasteless. Sure, they need salt and pepper at a minimum to bring out their flavor, but so do nearly all other foods...

I am trying to imagine the taste / texture of Mexican squash being quite the same as avocado. (Then again, I have never tried this particular squash).

I don't mind subbing things for other things - as long as the restaurant or so forth is up front about something that's the prime ingredient in a recipe. I'm fine with zucchini noodles over wheat noodles, for instance... but most restaurants will proudly say "Gluten-free zucchini noodle lasagna" or some such. The restaurants should be fine with saying "Calabacita 'guaca'mole" or something similar...

Back
Top Bottom