Veteran
Local time
4:12 AM
Cindy's Jambalaya:
Ingredients:
  • Broth, stock or water
  • Chicken, raw or cooked
  • Smoked Sausage (your favorite)
  • 1lb of shrimp (prawns), fresh or frozen, cooked or raw (optional)
  • Tomatoes, tinned or fresh, diced
  • Okra, fresh or frozen.
  • Rice, any type
  • Garlic, Onion, Celery, Green Bell Peppers (fresh, dried or jarred)
  • Cayenne powder, Cajun seasoning of your choice.
Method
  1. Put the broth, stock or water in a large pot (approx. 8 quarts) with the chicken and bring to the boil. If using raw, chicken, simmer until the chicken is cooked. If using cooked chicken go straight to step 3.
  2. Strain (reserving the liquid) and debone the chicken if necessary. Put the liquid and chicken back in the pot.
  3. Add the remainder of the ingredients except for the rice, okra and prawns
  4. Simmer for an hour.
  5. Add the okra and cook until tender.
  6. Add the rice and more liquid, if needed.
  7. Simmer for 20 minutes more and then add the prawns. Continue cooking until rice is done. Serve with your favorite bread.

Note, there are no exact amounts. This is more a clean out the refrigerator dish.

Last edited:
I have made it with all types of cooked chicken.
I have also used leftover Spanish rice or fried rice.
You cannot hurt this dish.
@SatNavSaysStraightOn, You could substitute whatever you use for meats or leave them out.

OK I see you have entered it. :D You need to add a tag to the recipe above. Click on 'add tags' (top left of your post) and start typing 'CookingBites' - you should get CookingBites Recipe Challenge come up as an option.

Cindy's Take on Jambalaya
Broth or stock or water
Chicken (Raw or cooked, doesn't really matter)
Smoked Sausage (your favorite)
1 pound or whatever your equivalent is Shrimp, Prawns (fresh or frozen, cooked or raw doesn't matter)(optional)
Tomatoes (tinned or fresh) diced
Okra (fresh or frozen)
Rice (doesn't matter what kind)
Garlic, Onion, Celery, green bell peppers (fresh or dried or jarred)
Cayenne powder, Cajun seasoning of your choice.

Get a decent size pot. At least 8 quarts (or your equivalent). Put the liquid in the pan. Add the chicken. If raw, let cook for a couple of hours or until done. Strain and Debone if necessary. Put the liquid and chicken back in the pot. Add everything else except the rice and okra. Cook for about an hour. Throw in the okra and cook awhile. Till nearly done. Dump in the rice. Add more liquid if needed. Cook until rice is done. Serve with your favorite bread.

Note there are no real amounts. This is more a clean the refrigerator out dish.

I made some of it, but it was years ago, when the Food Network was just getting started. Back then, it was called the TV Food Network. A guy by the name of David Rosenberg had his own cooking show. He made some and watching him do it had inspired me to try it! It was good!! :hungry::wink:

I've never even tried to cook Jambalaya but what's in there looks good.

Do you soak the okra in water for a while?

I've never even tried to cook Jambalaya but what's in there looks good.

Do you soak the okra in water for a while?
No. I just slice it or use frozen and just cook it in the jambalaya.
It takes hours but it is easy.

The reason I asked is that the okra available here is very "oily" inside. I don't know if it does any good but I soak it for 30 minutes or so after chopping/slicing.

The reason I asked is that the okra available here is very "oily" inside. I don't know if it does any good but I soak it for 30 minutes or so after chopping/slicing.
Oily? Okra exudes a slimy rather sticky 'goo' when cooked for a while. If you cook it quickly it doesn't. But some like the goo and some recipes call for it. When you say 'oily' do you mean that goo?

Okrie.jpg

It is usually cut like THIS.
I add it near the end so that it does not break up and become slimy. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom