CraigC

Guru
Local time
3:57 AM
Coconut potato latkes with cranberry applesauce and cardamom spiced mascarpone

Adapted from a recipe at whatjewannaeat.com.

Latkes:
2 cups (2/3 pound) russet potatoes, washed, peeled and shredded on large side of box grater
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten in a smal bowl
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil

Cranberry Applesauce:
1-1/2 pounds baking apples (about 3), peeled and diced
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
1 Tbsp granulated sugar (you can add another Tbsp or 2 if it's too tart later)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground allspice
Zest and juice from 1/2 of a large orange
1/3 cup water (1/4 cup if using frozen cranberries)
1/2 Tbsp brandy (if desired)

Cardamom Mascarpone:
1/8 cup mascarpone, at room temperature
1/2 tsp ground cardamom (or more to taste)

Directions:
Make the cranberry applesauce first. Place all ingredients in a saucepan, stir to mix well. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes until apples are breaking down and cranberries are starting to pop. Remove from heat and allow to cool some. Blend, using either an immersion blender or a countertop blender until you have an applesauce consistency. Taste and stir in additional sugar by a tablespoon at a time if needed. You want the applesauce to be slightly tart as the latkes are a bit sweet. Place in refrigerator to continue cooling.

Make the cardamom mascarpone by mixing the 2 ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.

To make the latkes, place the shredded potatoes in a colander, pick up a handful of potatoes and squeeze to remove excess liquid. Place in a mixing bowl. After all the potatoes are squeezed, add the coconut, flour, sugar and salt to the potatoes. Mix well (I used my hand). Add the beaten eggs and mix well (again used my hand).

Add the oil to a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Once hot, pick up 2-3 Tbsp of the potato mixture (depending on how big you want your latkes), place in the hot oil, flatten slightly. Repeat for additional latkes, but don't crowd your pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes per side depending on latke size until golden brown. Flip using a spatula and cook until the other size is golden brown. Remove to a paper towel lined plate or a wire rack.

Serve with the cranberry applesauce and the cardamom mascarpone.

36788-albums1123-picture8227.jpg

Last edited:
Very interesting - all those elements, the marscapone, the applesauce and the latkes are very exciting in terms of flavour contrast. I am most definitely 'out-cooked' on this challenge!

I'm sure we'll be making these again. Craig REALLY liked them.

Do you think the sugar in the Latkes is really needed? And secondly, is this a dessert recipe? Maybe a silly question but I became unsure given the sugar in the latkes & applesauce.

Do you think the sugar in the Latkes is really needed? And secondly, is this a dessert recipe? Maybe a silly question but I became unsure given the sugar in the latkes & applesauce.

I think of it as a savory dish. Even with the sugar in the latkes and sauce, I wouldn't consider it a dessert. It is actually a Jewish appetizer. The coconut is quite distinct.

Back
Top Bottom