Recipe Cold Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage Soup

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
7:20 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
And another in the series of cold soups that I have been exploring this summer due to the hot weather we have been experiencing.
This is actually a very nice and refreshing soup that is easy to eat despite the weather. It is so nice and easy that we are actually making it again.
One thing I will stress about this recipe is that all of the liquid ingredients need to be nice ones that you like. So don't be tempted to use that bottle of cooking red wire that you don't like. Or that apple cider vinegar that could easily murder an army of slugs. Find an acv that you like, use a red wine that you could happily drink a glass of and find a nice tart apple juice that is made from 100% apples, not something that is reconstituted from concentrate and most certainly nothing that resembles 1980's Sainsbury's longlife 'apple juice'.

Ingredients
I onion, red or white, quartered and thinly sliced
2 cooking (or eaters) apples, peeled, cored and coarsely grated
1-2 carrots, coursley grated
½ head of red cabbage, finely sliced
2-3 beetroot, coarsely grated
500 ml (dry if you can find it) apple juice
125-250 ml a nice apple cider vinegar
250 ml dry red wine or dry verjuice
3 tbsp brown sugar (optional), to taste
1 tsp sea salt
1-2 tbsp lemon juice, to taste
yoghurt (or sour cream), to serve

Method
  1. Put the onion, apples, carrots, cabbage and beetroot into a large soup pan along with the red wine, apple juice, apple cider vinegar and enough water to cover everything and bring to the boil.
  2. Simmer over a low heat, in a covered pan until the vegetables are tender, roughly 20-30 minutes depending on how finely sliced or grated everything is.
  3. Add the sugar if using, sea salt (and pepper if needed) and lemon juice to taste, then allow to cool to room temperature before refrigerating for a minimum of an hour before serving with a dolop of yoghurt or sour cream.

Last edited:
I've since made it again, not bothering to even peel the apples, just core them and notice no difference. I did use Pink Lady apples which are by far the most common here. I would suggest a less sweet apple such as Bramley's if you prefer a more tart soup. Its easier to add sugar than remove it.

My attempts at making a sour cream replacement remain totally unsuccessful. I was aiming for a vegan/dairy free buttermilk option and all the instructions online and in the vegan dairy free cheese bibles all say to mix lemon juice with soya yoghurt and allow it to sit for 10 minutes to curdle. Well I must be the only person who can end up, attempt after attempt, with lemon flavoured yoghurt! It does not matter how much lemon juice I add, it never curdles. It's homemade soya yoghurt that is just organic soya milk and a dairy free yoghurt culture. And the lemons are the lemons off my lemon tree. As fresh as you can get them. I'm going to try with vinegar next to see if it is the lemon juice, but I may resort to buying a lemon as a trial as well. I'm not able to purchase plain soya yoghurt, only vanilla flavour so can only use my homemade stuff.

I've also made sure I only used the coarse part of the grater to grate everything.

Served with the lemon flavoured soya yoghurt :whistling:

Lemon yoghurt mixed in.

Served with homemade beetroot pickled eggs and pickled beetroot and onion.

Back
Top Bottom