Compound Butters

I hate cloves. Other spices are fine. Not sure iI'd know about juniper.

I hate cloves. Other spices are fine. Not sure iI'd know about juniper.

You should try it. As I mentioned, its not really similar to any other spice. I've a few recipes here. This one uses juniper compound butter:

Cabbage Wedge Stuffed with Juniper Butter 'en Papillote'

You should try it sometime. As I said its not like any other spice. Its not used in the USA as much as it is here, I think.

Juniper is actually very common as a group of plants/trees. But not used as much in the kitchen. Just South of Dallas there is an area with almost nothing but juniper trees. A confusing factor in Texas is that Juiper trees are often called Cedar, or more specifically Mountain Cedar trees. We have cedar trees, too, but junipers somehow got lumped in with cedars.

I think we have had some variety of juniper in the yard/garden everywhere I have lived in the US, from New Jersey to Texas. But, my family never really cooked with it.

CD

Okay, now we are on the same page. :okay:

CD
I am with you both on that. Vodka is good, gin, no. My mother liked Bombay Gin and tonic. My dad liked vodka. I guess I take after my dad.

hubby is so set in his ways with his tastes that I am not sure how he would react.

My heart always sinks when I hear this phrase - especially on a food forum. Guess I'm lucky - my partner will eat almost anything. Same with my friend who I (used to before lockdown :( ) visit regularly and cook for. He is a great meat lover which I'm not - but that gives me the chance to cook more meaty things. Juniper is great with meat and game.

Back to compound butters. I'm going to try to incorporate a basil butter into the current recipe challenge. :) The only problem is the fact that basil goes black quickly when chopped...

Yeah, I can't stand cloves. I have had Pho but it was made by a Cambodian, not a Vietnamese, and did not have cloves. It was a seafood Pho. I have never had mole negro. My cousin's wife in Arizona is of Mexican heritage and she has made mole for me, hers does not contain cloves.

I would be willing to give juniper a try.

Last edited:
Yeah, I can't stand it. I have had Pho but it was made by a Cambodian, not a Vietnamese, and did not have cloves. It was a seafood Pho. I have never had mole negro. My cousin's wife in Arizona is of Mexican heritage and she has made mole for me, hers does not contain cloves.

I would be willing to give juniper a try.
Whenever a recipe I use calls for cloves, I always halve the amount, because one tiny powdered grain is all it takes to go from "that's ok," to "I think I'm gonna 🤮."

Whenever a recipe I use calls for cloves, I always halve the amount, because one tiny powdered grain is all it takes to go from "that's ok," to "I think I'm gonna 🤮."
Probably one of the reasons I don't like pumpkin pie. Besides the fact that it contains pumpkin, which tastes a little like sweet potatoes and yams, which I also don't like. Or cooked carrots, or sweet squashes...you know the flavor I am talking about. I do love zucchini and yellow summer squash that has the mild flavor, but those spaghetti squashes and the like, yuk.

Back
Top Bottom