Cooking gifts under $50 USD?

Or a quality replacements for little things you bought in a rush, because it was convenient or it was that thing you just wanted to try out before you invested in a proper one but still seem to be using them.

Like a supermarket ‘tupperware’ or that cheap colander that was just in front of you when you needed one or knowing you prefer Daylesford acacia wood cooking spoons but have a drawer full of Tala or that rubbish garlic crusher or the super resilient dishwasher proof sieve you haven‘t bought because.. etc etc

Oh one thing I love are my Pyrex containers. I've replaced my plastic containers almost completely. Food stays fresher for much longer than those stupid plastic ones. Also next on my wishlist is a vacuum sealer (of course that's not under $50), though the plastic waste is what's been preventing me from getting one. Toying with the idea of reusable bags and containers for that.

Last edited:
Oh one thing I love are my Pyrex containers. I've replaced my plastic containers almost completely. Food stays fresher for much longer than those stupid plastic ones. Also next on my wishlist is a vacuum sealer (of course that's not under $50), though the plastic waste is what's been preventing me from getting one. Toying with the idea of reusable bags and containers for that.
Pyrex containers are great, but I am starting to go back to plastic because of the kiddo.
The vacuum sealer is worth the price. I really cut down on freezer burnt meats when I use the vacuum sealer to portion out meat I buy in bulk; and its really improved the shelf-life of fish that I caught and would otherwise have had to cook sooner.

Pyrex containers are great, but I am starting to go back to plastic because of the kiddo.
The vacuum sealer is worth the price. I really cut down on freezer burnt meats when I use the vacuum sealer to portion out meat I buy in bulk; and its really improved the shelf-life of fish that I caught and would otherwise have had to cook sooner.
Yeah, the Pyrex are definitely "Keep out of reach of children" objects.

Definitely my preference too. Apart from the useful freezer to oven temperature range on them they don’t stain when someone inevitably puts it in the dishwasher with something that will stain them orange 😆

Definitely my preference too. Apart from the useful freezer to oven temperature range on them they don’t stain when someone inevitably puts it in the dishwasher with something that will stain them orange 😆
Yeah! I remember when my kids were little they would be too lazy to transfer food from the plastic containers into a bowl and the containers would get ruined. I no longer have to worry about that since they all grew up long ago and moved out (youngest is 28), but it is nice to take the lid off and put the container into the microwave or oven without having to dirty up an extra dish, and food lasts about 3x as long as it did before.

Yeah! I remember when my kids were little they would be too lazy to transfer food from the plastic containers into a bowl and the containers would get ruined. I no longer have to worry about that since they all grew up long ago and moved out (youngest is 28), but it is nice to take the lid off and put the container into the microwave or oven without having to dirty up an extra dish, and food lasts about 3x as long as it did before.
There’s something a bit manky about some plastic tupperware, the ‘sistema brilliance‘ crystal clear tritan ones are good (can’t stain them) but you pay more for those than Pyrex.
And my son keeps stealing them 😆

I've added to the wish list a wide selection of wood pellets (Apple, Cherry, Mesquite, Pecan) for the smoker that should be arriving next month. Each 20lb bag is around the $22 range. Which isn't bad.
Where did you find the chips? I want some! You've used them all before? Which is your favorite?

Where did you find the chips? I want some! You've used them all before? Which is your favorite?
no, I haven't used these, I previously used woodchips for my propane smoker. However, from experience, I like apple wood for poultry and fish; pecan is nice for pork and beef, as is Cherry.
Amazon for the win!

Back
Top Bottom