Cooking in long sleeves

Never, ever wear long sleeves. My hands are bare as well. I can't understand how Chefs cook with all their rings and bracelets on either. It's a turn off for me.
Lidia Bastianich is famous for wearing her gold bangles/bracelets while she cooks, and word must have gotten back to her about viewer complaints, because she addressed it on a show. I can't remember why exactly, but it was something very sentimental.

Personally, it doesn't bother me. People online in the comments sections of videos seem to make a game out of nitpicking cooking show "mistakes," like, "OMG!!! At 3:17...did she just touch her hair? BARF!!!" :laugh:

Home cooks touch their hair (and a lot worse) every day. The only jewelry I wear is a simple thin gold band, but I don't take it off to mix meatloaf or anything, but that's a little different than a bracelet.

Lidia Bastianich is famous for wearing her gold bangles/bracelets while she cooks, and word must have gotten back to her about viewer complaints, because she addressed it on a show. I can't remember why exactly, but it was something very sentimental.

Personally, it doesn't bother me. People online in the comments sections of videos seem to make a game out of nitpicking cooking show "mistakes," like, "OMG!!! At 3:17...did she just touch her hair? BARF!!!" :laugh:

Home cooks touch their hair (and a lot worse) every day. The only jewelry I wear is a simple thin gold band, but I don't take it off to mix meatloaf or anything, but that's a little different than a bracelet.

I took my wedding ring off to cook, because I didn't want to mess with cleaning the grease off the ring after cooking. I made my wife take her rings off during cooking, because there was NO WAY I was going to sift through poop to recover one of those diamonds or sapphires lost in last night's meatloaf. Paranoid? Perhaps. But a one-percent chance was too much risk for me.

CD

I took my wedding ring off to cook, because I didn't want to mess with cleaning the grease off the ring after cooking. I made my wife take her rings off during cooking, because there was NO WAY I was going to sift through poop to recover one of those diamonds or sapphires lost in last night's meatloaf. Paranoid? Perhaps. But a one-percent chance was too much risk for me.

CD
My wife's solution to that was never mix meatloaf. :laugh:

Come to think of it, in 1992, she was helping me gather wet leaves and bag them when, days later, she realized she'd lost the first ring I ever gave her, that it had likely slipped off her wet hands. Nothing terribly valuable, but it was shaped like a little belt and buckle, with her birthstone in it.

That's the last time she's done any yard work. :laugh:

Oh, and I found a video where Lidia B. explains about the bracelets she wears.

She's famous for cooking with her mother on her show, and I think her mother 147 years old. It's obvious they have a very close relationship. Her mother gave her five bracelets for her sweet 16 birthday, one for each letter of her name, and she's worn them ever since (not the originals, they wore out long ago).

I don't usually wear long sleeves when cooking. I rarely wear long sleeves indoors at all. I'm in the Midwest (USA) so we have crazy cold winters but the heat is so high that I have the windows open. I also don't run much risk because it's an electric stove. Oh, don't get me started on how I had to learn to cook with electricity! Needless to say, burned sleeves were the least of my burning experiences! LOL

My wife's solution to that was never mix meatloaf. :laugh:

Come to think of it, in 1992, she was helping me gather wet leaves and bag them when, days later, she realized she'd lost the first ring I ever gave her, that it had likely slipped off her wet hands. Nothing terribly valuable, but it was shaped like a little belt and buckle, with her birthstone in it.

That's the last time she's done any yard work. :laugh:

Lol,my friend got a metal detector for his birthday. He watches the ozzy gold program.

Russ

Around the house/garden I wear shorts and either 'T' shirts or old frayed long sleeved shirts. If it's the latter, I roll up the sleeves for cooking.

The thing I find strange is that standard Chef's whites usually have long sleeves. Why? I know you can get short sleeved ones but the most common in the UK have long sleeves.

I think it's not necessarily "long" sleeves but how loose/baggy the sleeve is.
a "flowing dress" for example has lots of stuff that can get too close to flames.
long sleeve with unbuttoned cuff is another frequent soruce.
I often use a cotton kitchen towel aka dish drying towel - to lift lids, move hot handles, etc. about a week back DW was asking about something, I turned away from the gas cooktop, and in short order smelled something funny.... lit my dish towel on fire... doused it in the sink, but it was a goner.

I think it's not necessarily "long" sleeves but how loose/baggy the sleeve is.
a "flowing dress" for example has lots of stuff that can get too close to flames.
long sleeve with unbuttoned cuff is another frequent soruce.
I often use a cotton kitchen towel aka dish drying towel - to lift lids, move hot handles, etc. about a week back DW was asking about something, I turned away from the gas cooktop, and in short order smelled something funny.... lit my dish towel on fire... doused it in the sink, but it was a goner.

I have burned 1 or 2 dish towels, as well as kitchen handles...nowadays I use silicone ones which get burnt but don't catch fire.

The thing I find strange is that standard Chef's whites usually have long sleeves. Why? I know you can get short sleeved ones but the most common in the UK have long sleeves.
Reading about it, the long sleeves and heavy material are to protect the chef's arms from the heat of the cooktop and from burns from spattering grease and liquids.

Reading about it, the long sleeves and heavy material are to protect the chef's arms from the heat of the cooktop and from burns from spattering grease and liquids.

Well I suppose it makes sense but given how hot most professional kitchens are (why don't they use air-con?) it must be quite uncomfortable.

Being six foot one, (183 cm) cooking in long sleeves has hardly ever been an issue. It's cooking at homes with low lying sharp edged range hoods. Those can give you concussions. And potentially destroy friendships when you just see RED after the incident and the homeowner goes "oh" after you yelp. (Blandly, without concern.)

Though, when I broke my ankle and had to wheel myself to cook - yep, then I had to be very careful. It was late autumn/winter here, too. I decided to switch to short sleeves before anything unpleasant happened.

Well I suppose it makes sense but given how hot most professional kitchens are (why don't they use air-con?) it must be quite uncomfortable.
Air-con...one common complaint about American restaurants is that the dining rooms are at near-frigid temps. That's because they're cranking the A/C for the kitchen staff. :)

Even if the kitchen itself is cool/cold, the area directly over a cooktop is still hot, and hot grease is hot grease, regardless. I have a chef's coat specifically for when I'm deep-frying or just generally frying something on the cooktop and I expect spatters.

Back
Top Bottom