CookingBites dish of the month (August 2022): quiche/savoury tart

Here it is, the darker yellow is polenta, we have a different name for it, not flour but probably the equivalent of meal, KRUPICA, which contains the root of the word KRUPAN which means big. So the particles are bigger. and this is called kukuruzna krupica, so bigger corn particles... or 99% we call it polenta/palenta with an A rather...

Hubby has asked for another vegan quiche! So it looks liked there will be another chance for me to tweak with my recipe and try again at the shortcrust pastry. It was a little too short last time due to me forgetting that when I use Copha (a vegetable shortening) you need to adjust the ratio of flour to fat. I forgot last time. It is something to do with the water content verses butter, I'll have to read the instructions again, or just bail to my usual marg rather than the harder Copha. I was only using it to use up what I had left in the back of the fridge. I may just make up a batch of pastry for the chooks. They love it!

Finally got around to making a quiche. This one was with roasted red peppers, courgettes (Zucchini), sweetcorn and feta cheese.
For the first time (probably ever) I used bought pastry.
It will also be the last time because it was awful and tasteless. the rest of the quiche was delish!

I was only using it to use up what I had left in the back of the fridge. I may just make up a batch of pastry for the chooks. They love it!
I do that often too, I feed the birds outside my window, if it is really bad...Recently, in my earthquake or other disaster backpack I found salty sticks that have expired 3-4 months prior, I ate the one pack to almost 80%, expiration-wise ok, although they were a tad too gluteny for me, there was way too much plain wheat flour in them, I did not carefully read the label, and crushed and tossed out the other pack out the window for the pigeons and sparrows...

Recently, in my earthquake or other disaster backpack I found salty sticks that have expired 3-4 months prior, I ate the one pack to almost 80%, expiration-wise ok, although they were a tad too gluteny for me, there was way too much plain wheat flour in them, I did not carefully read the label, and crushed and tossed out the other pack out the window for the pigeons and sparrows...
I don't know if you're aware that they wild birds shouldn't have salty food.

I know salt is highly poisonous to chickens, I don't know about other birds (just checked, it's the same). They do need a small/tiny amount of salt in their diet to survive, just like humans, but because they are so much smaller than us it is really important not to feed them anything with added salt especially stuff that is salty to us. It is simply too much NaCl for them.

I don't know if you're aware that they wild birds shouldn't have salty food.

I know salt is highly poisonous to chickens, I don't know about other birds (just checked, it's the same). They do need a small/tiny amount of salt in their diet to survive, just like humans, but because they are so much smaller than us it is really important not to feed them anything with added salt especially stuff that is salty to us. It is simply too much NaCl for them.
Oh Goodness, thank you, I had no idea. I guess I thought they would instinctively know what to eat and what not. Or eventually leave out the salty bits...all right, then, I will just toss it in the trash bin.

Oh Goodness, thank you, I had no idea. I guess I thought they would instinctively know what to eat and what not. Or eventually leave out the salty bits...all right, then, I will just toss it in the trash bin.
Lol, not at all. They have to learn what makes them ill and if they survive, they know next time not to eat it....
Chickens apparently shouldn't eat garlic, onions, leeks etc. My chooks love nothing better than to gorge on those tiny bulblets that form at the top of the garlic stem. They love them for some reason, possibly because they see me harvesting the garlic and hanging it up to dry. I now have to dry my garlic where the chickens can't reach it, rather than wrapped through the fencing of the veg plot where they can reach...

Also with salt being soluble it's hard to avoid... plus birds are instinctively drawn to certain colour food: white, yellow, and red being the ones I see eaten the most. They will feast on tofu because its white. They love cheese or yoghurt as all, though I only let them have homemade cheese which I used to make for them without salt in it. Egg and eggshell are forgone conclusions. A broken egg is a feast not too miss. Fresh ripe fruit is another, anything red vanishes as does raw meat which they also love (but don't get, they can hunt their own! ). If another chook is injured it they find a dead animal and there is blood, they will peck and peck at it (even if it is alive and/or one of them)... The bird world is a strange world...

If another chook is injured it they find a dead animal and there is blood, they will peck and peck at it (even if it is alive and/or one of them)... The bird world is a strange world...
Really? Oh Heavens...I knew that for some birds, craws and scavenger birds, and I know from far back hen I was in school, some eat worms etc...you do know quite a lot about birds! Brava! Along with chemistry, were you into biology as well? They do go closely related to some extent, I'd believe...
It is very informative to read such posts. Thank you!
In Paris, France we saw a beautiful and lovely singing bird, in one of the parks, it was not a sparrow, larger than a sparrow, possibly a <Galerida cristata, of some sort, but I could not be sure...I googled her later...
I love birds, from a far, I suppose...I love trying to guess which one they actually are, beside the obvious pigeons and two types of craw and sparrows...but I could never say I know birds, because I don't. Lol.
I also never lived on a farm, so far. So all those animals in the picture books I bought and read with my daughter were almost fantasy creatures, never seen on the ashpalt. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom