CookingBites dish of the month (August 2022): quiche/savoury tart

I believe that's exactly right about the filling. I imagine there is a way to thicken almond or another plant-based milk to use as a filling that could help with whatever is lacking.

I believe that Timenspace is trying to stay gluten free as well as dairy free. Edited to add that I bet SatNavSaysStraightOn could give tips on that.

The vegan quiche I made used wholemeal flour as normal for the pastry. I used a dairy free margarine mixed with grated coconut oil (it's a commercial thing in a paper wrapper from the fridge section of the supermarket).

Timenspace
The actual quiche itself for mine was a mixture of tofu and chickpea flour. I've heard bad things regarding solely tofu as the filling and similarly bad things about solely chickpea flour as the primary ingredient of the filling. I found a recipe that used both. It also included 1Tbsp of cornflour as well. It did include 1tbsp of olive oil in the filling which I didn't notice.

I just used the filling ingredients of this recipe Vegan Quiche with Garden Vegetables | Chickpea Tofu Quiche Recipe using my own veg and own pastry. I included a little of the black salt I purchased recently and included some miso. Would I modify the recipe for next time? Yes. I've an idea to make it more cheesey which I may do in the near future.

I can't see cornstarch making a nice pie crust, hers might have been something else?
Oddly enough its not for the crust. Almost every recipe I looked at use it to solidify the filling otherwise the tofu doesn't set.

I've no idea on a gluten free pastry. I would imagine cornflour is in there somewhere, but it shouldn't be the only ingredient. Usually tapioca flour, chickpea flour, rice flour are the main ingredients in gluten free flour (my mum is gluten free, not me)

Yeah, I've never seen blue band, centrella, or our family, and we don't have Kroger in my city (it's about an hour each way). My store carries imperial, earth balance, and smart balance i know for sure. But since we don't eat margarine I don’t look closely. I've bought earth balance before but didn't like it.
I think I can honestly say I googled the only American supermarket I could come up with at the time. I realise I do know one other...

It did include 1tbsp of olive oil in the filling which I didn't notice.
Yes, my thoughts exactly, I think 2 tablespoons of olive oil would have done it, or maybe 1 tbspoon of lard (which you would not use, but I am currently not vegan)...I wonder if I got distracted... I don't remember that this quiche in this variation was as dry, the filling I mean, the previous many times I've done it...the crust does include 10 g of margarine, I think I eyeblopped 20 g and it was fine...Thanks for bringing me into the Dish of the month, which I have not noticed!
I am beginning to love chickpeas. Not in the form of flour yet, but as is, in stews or other dishes. My flours of recently are rice, corn and wholegrain, which is not as I would imagine it, but it's ok.

Would like to hear more about that. Do you mean you used cornflour for the pastry?

You asked about putting oil in the filling. Well I've not come across that other than the fat contained in milk or cream - the classic filling is eggs and cream or milk. Maybe because you didn't include dairy it was missing that fat?
Oh here it is in the proper thread. Yes, I've been playing with a Farmflavor.com ( I took notes the first time) recipe, for a corn flour quiche crust, and varied both the crust and fillings. I have made the most recent one, if I am not mistaken, with1+1/3 cups corn flour and 1/3 cup rice flour , I did not take notes that night...the crust is really lovely. It was the filling - 3 eggs, 1 tbspoon of chia in about 20 ml rice milk, tofu of I'd say 100 g, some dill and some garlic, and about 150-200 g shredded zucchini, that came out a tad dry...as Jas and you said, it might be the fat normally contained in milk or cream, that was missing, and I totally forgot to care about that...

I know that, but parts of Europe use UK terms, and some don't. That makes it even more confusing.

CD
Did I use a confusing term? Which one?
Oh I see now, the flour, starch item...
Well, the original recipe calls for 1+1/3 cups of AP flour plus 1/3 cup corn flour(and it was still named a corn flour quiche, but fine), which I at times exchanged for 150 g of wholegrain wheat flour+50 g of corn flour, other time 100 g yellow corn flour and 100 g white corn flour+70 g of whole wheat flour, and every time it turned out fine, it must be a really forgiving recipe. I have used oat milk, soy milk and rice milk at different times.
Whole wheat is not gluten free, but for some reason it does not bother me as much as a white wheat or AP flour, so I go with it at times.
It is more of an avoidance, both gluten and dairy intolerance I'd say, it is not an allergy...during the repairs in my parents flats I took a machine cappuccino, unable to go a further distance, and skipped two meals, which has all sorts of dairy residue, and it did not bother me much, luckily. However whenever I can I stay clear off...at least that is how it is for the last 1 or more year...who knows when and what will change...

Thank you everyone, for joining in on the issue!

Last edited:
No it wasn't your fault. It's just that food terminology can vary between countries and he wasn't sure that corn flour meant the same thing in your country. I think it might be the same, though? Here corn flour can be used to make tortillas and substituted for flour in some baking. He was thinking your corn flour is like our cornstarch, which is usually used as a thickener for sauces.

Oh here it is in the proper thread. Yes, I've been playing with a Farmflavor.com ( I took notes the first time) recipe, for a corn flour quiche crust, and varied both the crust and fillings. I have made the most recent one, if I am not mistaken, with1+1/3 cups corn flour and 1/3 cup rice flour , I did not take notes that night...the crust is really lovely. It was the filling - 3 eggs, 1 tbspoon of chia in about 20 ml rice milk, tofu of I'd say 100 g, some dill and some garlic, and about 150-200 g shredded zucchini, that came out a tad dry...as Jas and you said, it might be the fat normally contained in milk or cream, that was missing, and I totally forgot to care about that...
I found this recipe that you might like to get ideas from if you can open it. I hope so.
The Best Vegan Quiche!

Corn flour. It has different meanings on the US to the UK... and is different....

Corn flour to me, is white used to thicken. That's corn starch in the USA.
Corn flour in American terms is a yellow powder. It's from the whole corn (dried) and is corn meal in the UK, or maize flour, or maize meal . I'm not sure where fine polenta fits in to it all though...

Cornstarch vs. Corn Flour: What’s the Difference?

No it wasn't your fault. It's just that food terminology can vary between countries and he wasn't sure that corn flour meant the same thing in your country. I think it might be the same, though? Here corn flour can be used to make tortillas and substituted for flour in some baking. He was thinking your corn flour is like our cornstarch, which is usually used as a thickener for sauces.
Oh I see, I could post a picture, that is the only thing that ocurrs to me...would that help?

Back
Top Bottom