CookingBites dish of the month (August 2022): quiche/savoury tart

Corn flour. It has different meanings on the US to the UK... and is different....

Corn flour to me, is white used to thicken. That's corn starch in the USA.
Corn flour in American terms is a yellow powder. It's from the whole corn (dried) and is corn meal in the UK, or maize flour, or maize meal . I'm not sure where fine polenta fits in to it all though...

Cornstarch vs. Corn Flour: What’s the Difference?
Yeah but she doesn't live in the UK.

I found this recipe that you might like to get ideas from if you can open it. I hope so.
The Best Vegan Quiche!
Yes, it opens! Thanks! Will have a look, I might use eggs at days when I am not eating meat as protein...but not more than 2 per day or 3 when spread over the whole tin, to be eaten over 2 days...I used to be vegan, but am not now...I love getting inspiration from all sources. I know you meant it as inspiration...and I love egetables, so it should be wonderful.

Corn flour. It has different meanings on the US to the UK... and is different....

Corn flour in American terms is a yellow powder. It's from the whole corn (dried) and is corn meal in the UK, or maize flour, or maize meal . I'm not sure where fine polenta fits in to it all though...

Actually we have some corn flour that is white. That's what I've used mostly I've also seen and used masa harina a few times, which is yellow. Then we have corn meal...

Yes, it opens! Thanks! Will have a look, I might use eggs at days when I am not eating meat as protein...but not more than 2 per day or 3 when spread over the whole tin, to be eaten over 2 days...I used to be vegan, but am not now...I love getting inspiration from all sources. I know you meant it as inspiration...and I love egetables, so it should be wonderful.
There are no eggs in it, it's vegan.

Oh, now it confused me also, this flour I used is yellow, beacuse it has ben milled from a yellow corn cob. But I found a white corn flour here in a Kaufland shop, a rarity I thought, which was very pale yellow, almost ivory white, and it was milled from a white corn cob...
Let me take a picture and post it...it is definitely finer than polenta, and I would never use this corn flour as thickener, or at least not primarily...we have quite a few traditional dishes made with corn flour. I personally do not think it is fine and poulvery enough...I have seen starches on the shop shelves, but it bears a different name - škrob. Whereas the flour is brašno.

Oh, now it confused me also, this flour I used is yellow, beacuse it has ben milled from a yellow corn cob. But I found a white corn flour here in a Kaufland shop, a rarity I thought, which was very pale yellow, almost ivory white, and it was milled from a white corn cob...
Let me take a picture and post it...it is definitely finer than polenta, and I would never use this corn flour as thickener, or at least not primarily...we have quite a few traditional dishes made with corn flour. I personally do not think it is fine and poulvery enough...I have seen starches on the shop shelves, but it bears a different name - škrob. Whereas the flour is brašno.
Yes, we also have starches made from corn (called cornstarch specifically) which is not the same as corn flour. I think your products are the same terminology as the US.

Last edited:
Yes, we also have starches made from corn (called cornstarch specifically) which is not the same as corn flour. I think your priducts are the same terminology as the US.
I don't know if the photos will aid, but let's see...
so the term here is kukuruzno brašno, kukuruz being the corn cob. I assume if I could measure the powder particles...just kidding, I can't do that without proper equipment...

Back
Top Bottom