Cookingbites Dish of the Month (August): Pasta Salad

839AE85F-7B53-4257-82A9-DB4D00A83B87.jpeg

Bacon and Peas Pasta Salad.
Yes, I know: this looks quite a lot like a hot pasta dish. And, it can certainly be served that way. I even roasted slivers of garlic. However, that doesn’t mean this is not a pasta salad.

When served cold, the peas really pop. The saltiness of the bacon provides a savoriness not normally found in the salad, and that’s a good thing. Are use the smallest amount of bacon grease, rendered from the bacon, to take the place of olive oil and a traditional salad. And, it really works.

You may notice there is a slight reddish color. Some of you have already figured out that it’s paprika. That’s right: i’m entering this in the recipe challenge, too.

Last edited:
Making an ersatz pasta salad for my trip tomorrow. I don't have enough ingredients to hand for something I want to post as an actual recipe, but just saying... this is a stop-gap. I should post at least a photo of this one on Sunday. (Heading three hours up into Vermont when I get up tomorrow.)

Didn't take the photo. Was in a rush to get out of here, and when I got around to eating it, it was a bit wilt-y looking, and didn't want to cooperate. (But it tasted great.)

I have orzo cooked and ready ... I'm still struggling to get inspired. I can't think of anything that hasn't been done many times before. But - I have a glimmer of hope in the shape of a pickled lemon! Wasn't it you. @The Late Night Gourmet who remarked that almost anything is improved by the addition of pickled lemon? :D

Each month we choose a different and accessible dish (or type of cuisine) so that most of us can join in, cook and post the results. This month, Pasta Salad has been chosen.

View attachment 30202

Please join in and tell us all about the Pasta Salad dishes you create during August. Innovation is positively encouraged. All you need to do is post a description and/or photo of your dish. If you want to post a recipe please post it as new thread and link back to this thread. PM me (or another moderator) if you need help to do this.
It looks amazing and deserving too!!

Wow...a lot of assertive flavors here! How did the peas stand up? By the way, I'm finding that I really do like peas in a pasta dish.

I'm going to post up the recipe soon. Backlog! But the peas didn't get drowned - I'll try to explain in my recipe intro how it worked.

Back
Top Bottom