CookingBites Dish of the Month (February): Frittata

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:39 AM
New feature - CookingBites Dish of the Month invites all members to a frittata party! Join in and post photos, recipes*, comments etc. Each month we'll choose a different and accessible dish so that hopefully most of us can join in.

So this month its the Frittata. Any sort, any method. It can be made vegan using an egg-replacer. Throw your ideas into the hat!

Asparagus-and-Onion-Fritatta.jpg

What is a frittata? Its the Italian cousin of the Spanish tortilla and is a set omelette containing other ingredients which are often vegetables but could be anything you choose (a tortilla specifies onion and potato).

Please join in and have fun. Its not serious and there are no prizes.

*please post full recipes as new threads and link back to this thread. PM me if you need help to do this.

As you know, this is something we cook quite often. I'll try to get one made next week, though I might be able to do one this week if I send hubby shopping for broccoli. Mind you I've probably got some spare cauliflower from one of my planned recipes for this week . I'll see how things go .
We often find a touch of soy sauce helps to bring a little life to it .

A very long time ago, a Spanish woman prepared a tortilla for my friends and I - she seemed to spend most of the afternoon making it, and it was served cold.

Also - back in the early 1990s - an Italian woman prepared a frittata for her family and mine. She used courgette flowers, and it was sensational. It was also served cold.

I hope that there's a recognition by anyone taking part in this - if they're looking for authenticity - then this dish (like revenge) is better served cold.

I hope that there's a recognition by anyone taking part in this - if they're looking for authenticity - then this dish (like revenge) is better served cold.

I forgot to mention it can be served hot or room temperature (or indeed cold) - I am not sure if cold is authentic or not for Frittata. Maybe it is for Spanish tortillas? Most recipes I've looked at say frittata is rather like a crustless quiche and is best warm or at room temperature.

One good thing is that it can go in a lunch box or be taken on on a picnic.

I've always seen/heard of fritatta being served hot, warm or at room temperature. I don't think I could eat a dish with cold eggs since I sometimes have problems eating them at all when scrambled or in something like a quiche/fritatta. It's a texture thing for me, have to be in the mood or it just grosses me out, Something I've weirded into as I've gotten older because I LOVED scrambled eggs as a kid.

I'm thinking of going down an Indian spicy frittata route... tomorrow. Just juggling ingredients right now. Not at all authentic, I'm afraid.

I’m looking forward to some new variations on this theme.

I make a large tray of frittata almost every week as it’s my go to breakfast. It holds up well in the fridge for 5 days and I can freeze portions to take with me if I leave home for the day.

This week’s version is filled with ham, sweet potato chunks & feta along with spinach, kale & grated zucchini & carrot.

Back
Top Bottom