CookingBites dish of the month (June 2022): potato salad

Yes, I definitely use quite a bit of mustard and dill pickle relish in mine. Never tried the apple though.

Recommended in summer, adds a nice freshness provided the apple isn't the sweet kind!

We often add halved red grapes to our potato salads for the same reason . It cuts through the cloyie feel in the mouth as well.

The German potato salad known world wide is the bavarian version with broth and served warm. In Berlin, so northern Germany, we prefer our potato salad just with a sour Vinaigrette and apple slices.
Interesting because I never had the broth version but I've only ever been in Western and Northern Germany. Mostly in the area around Aken, München and Düsseldorf. Is it possible they serve different potato salad because it's closer to the Dutch border?

Can't give you an appropriate answer, maybe it’s also a money term. And of couse it could be just coincidence, as we germans only serve potato salad either in Vinaigrette, broth or mayonnaise.

I have a good entry for potato salad, and had all the ingredients gathered. I just didn't feel well enough yesterday to actually make it. I'll make it for the 4th of July holiday, and post it somewhere (depends on if this thread gets closed).

CD

I won't close this thread.

I wanted to thank all those who participated. Its been a bit of a learning curve for me!

I haven't made potato salad for a very long time, but when I did, I boiled potatoes, then diced them and mixed them with salad cream. I was intrigued once to watch my bachelor brother-in-law make them by dicing the potatoes first, then boiling them, making the cooking time much shorter.
Now, why didn't I think of that?!

I haven't made potato salad for a very long time, but when I did, I boiled potatoes, then diced them and mixed them with salad cream. I was intrigued once to watch my bachelor brother-in-law make them by dicing the potatoes first, then boiling them, making the cooking time much shorter.
I just always did it the way my grandma and my mom did it, which was to cut the potatoes first!

I believe it affects the water content of the potatoes. The bigger the potato cooked whole the drier the resulting dish, but you can also dry type diced potatoes by placing them in a sieve over the pan that's now empty but sitting on the warm ring (that's cooking if you're cooking with electricity or leave gas on very low. The heat from below dries off the water held on the much greater surface area of the cut potato.

One or two of my recipes that use potato in pastry are greatly affected by how you cook the potato.

Back
Top Bottom