CookingBites dish of the month (June 2022): potato salad

Here's my big pan of potato salad that I made for this past Sunday for a cookout at my niece's house! Everyone loved it except for one of the boys. And he's big for his age, yet he loves to eat! I might make more for the Fourth, but a much smaller amount. :whistling:

I used 8 pounds of Idaho potatoes (peeled, chopped, and boiled in salted water) and 3 small red skinned potatoes (diced and not peeled), 18 hard boiled eggs (diced), 1 small onion finely chopped, 2 stalks of finely diced celery, 3 TBSP sweet pickle relish, 2 TBSP dill pickle relish, about 20 ounces of mayonnaise, 10 ounces of yellow mustard, 1 tsp celery seeds, 1/4 tsp ground black pepper. The potatoes are still boiling and the rest is in the mixing container. I am about to go check on the potatoes, I like mine tender so that they are nearly falling apart and end up being like chunky mashed potatoes after being stirred in. I will have to cool them considerably before adding to the mixture. And then I have to taste and decide how much salt it might need (or additional mayonnaise and other ingredients). I'll update with a photo later.

Edited that I added 2 more diced celery stalks, a dollop of mayonnaise, and am in the process of boiling 8 more eggs. What can I say? It needed more crunch and the mayo/mustard balance was off, and I LOVE eggs!

Last edited:
This is saffron potato and artichoke salad with tarragon. You could substitute another herb such as dill if you don't like tarragon. The artichoke hearts are from a can - but they are perfectly OK in a salad. I cooked the potatoes in saffron water and I made a vinaigrette with olive oil in which I'd infused saffron strands.

[Mod.edit: this post and a number of following posts moved from another thread (MG)]

I don't much like it either. I will eat mine, though, at least a little of it. I have to eat some while I am tasting it to see if it needs adjustments!

I'm not keen on the 'classic' American potato salad with mayonnaise (well in fact I have a digestive problem with mayonnaise anyway). I much prefer lighter vinaigrette style dressings or yoghurt based dressings.

Last edited:
I'm not keen on the 'classic' American potato salad with mayonnaise (well in fact I have a digestive problem with mayonnaise anyway). I much prefer lighter vinaigrette style dressings or yoghurt based dressings.
I ended up using more mustard after I tasted it, along with some vinaigrette and a little more celery seed.

Oh dear, some people in the US use Miracle Whip or some other sort of non-mayonnaise type dressing, which has an oddly sweet taste. Same thing with coleslaw. I find it disgusting.

With 8 pounds of potatoes, the amount of mayonnaise I used wasn't excessive. You could always try using some vegan mayonnaise with that aquafaba that you make.

I don't like an all mayonaise base, that's why my potato salad is a mixture of yoghurt and mayo. I understand the preference for a more tangy dressing. I also add sour relish, gherkins and mustard to add to the tangy vibe. Sometimes even a chopped sour apple.

I don't like an all mayonaise base, that's why my potato salad is a mixture of yoghurt and mayo. I understand the preference for a more tangy dressing. I also add sour relish, gherkins and mustard to add to the tangy vibe. Sometimes even a chopped sour apple.
Yes, I definitely use quite a bit of mustard and dill pickle relish in mine. Never tried the apple though.

Vinegar-based potato salads, like what we usually call German potato salad and usually serve warm (or at least room temp), I wouldn’t even class that with cold mayonnaise-mustard-based American potato salads. They’re so different.

I probably prefer the American style, but it really depends on what it’s being served with. When I make mine, it’s a mix of mayonnaise and mustard, and the pickle relish can go either way…sometimes sweet, sometimes dill.

My grandmother hardly ever made American-style cold potato salad. Always the warm vinegar-and-sugar German style. Mom (her daughter) made both regularly.

Vinegar-based potato salads, like what we usually call German potato salad and usually serve warm (or at least room temp), I wouldn’t even class that with cold mayonnaise-mustard-based American potato salads. They’re so different.

I probably prefer the American style, but it really depends on what it’s being served with. When I make mine, it’s a mix of mayonnaise and mustard, and the pickle relish can go either way…sometimes sweet, sometimes dill.

My grandmother hardly ever made American-style cold potato salad. Always the warm vinegar-and-sugar German style. Mom (her daughter) made both regularly.
I love warm German-style vinegary potato salad, but the kind I have eaten wasn't sweet at all, and alfalfa sprouts came with it.

I don't know about that, all German potato salads I ate in my life in Germany contained mustard and mayo.. That's why I call my recipe German because it is, we used to spend our holidays there and got it from a place we stayed at. I guess it depends on the region. Maybe PabloLerntKochen can add some info?

I love warm German-style vinegary potato salad, but the kind I have eaten wasn't sweet at all, and alfalfa sprouts came with it.
It’s not enough sugar to make it sweet, just enough to tamp down the sharpness of the vinegar, much like adding a little bit of sugar to a cold vinaigrette salad dressing. Just enough to take the edge off.

I don't know about that, all German potato salads I ate in my life in Germany contained mustard and mayo.. That's why I call my recipe German because it is, we used to spend our holidays there and got it from a place we stayed at. I guess it depends on the region. Maybe PabloLerntKochen can add some info?

It may be the difference between American German and German German? A bit like how American Italian food differs from Italian Italian food. Well, maybe...

Found this in relation to German potato salad (from a German blogger) which does suggest a regional difference

I’ve seen tons of different recipes for German potato salad across the web. However, most of the stuff that is being published has very little to do with the real deal.

German potato salad is an extremely simple and minimalistic dish whereas a lot of recipes on the web tend to include stuff like bacon or celery. For all my life, I’ve never eaten any potato salad that had bacon in it.

I got to admit that even in Germany there’s not the one and only way to make authentic potato salad. Instead, there are two basic variations: The North German potato salad which is dressed with a mayonnaise-based vinaigrette and the South German potato salad which is marinated with a beef broth vinaigrette.

German Potato Salad Swabian style ('Schwäbischer Kartoffelsalat') - My German Table

I love the idea of a beef broth vinaigrette!

Back
Top Bottom