CookingBites dish of the month (June 2022): potato salad

Sorry @SatNavSaysStraightOn it is cold. But next month, I'll be cool with a hot dish ok
Thanks. I was talking with the ladies at the knitting group I go to and they haven't known it to snow in June for decades and decades. Next week it is due to drop to -5°C at night which is hard because unlike the UK and the cold I'm familiar with, here it drops to the temperature it will be all night, by around 6pm, 1 hour after dark and it will stay that temperature for 12-14 hours before it starts to get warmer in the morning. That's a comparative warmer. Right now it is only varying by 2-3°C between day & night and the humidity is the killer. It's 96-99%. So it's a very wet cold, not a dry cold of Scandinavia that I'm used to. This morning it was only 12°C in the sitting room before the wood burning stove having been lit constantly for the last month or so. (It's very efficient at reducing ash to a fine light grey ash, so I only need empty ash out once every 4-6 weeks). Next week, I think we'll have to run the electric heaters alongside the stove, otherwise I'll need to get up during the night to put more wood in the stove and run it at a much warmer temperature.

We'll lose water if it does drop to those temperatures though. So I'll thank you know for reminding me that I need to fill up the 25L water tank that's on the washing machine....

This is right out of Grandma Tasty’s kitchen, Green Bean and Potato Salad, circa 1942:

Sliced boiled potatoes, cooked green beans raw onion, and some bacon, and the whole thing is doused in a hot vinegar dressing made from the bacon grease and some apple cider vinegar. Some fresh thyme and parsley added as well.

My mom (and her mom as well) made hot bacon dressing virtually every single day. It was, and still is, my mom’s favorite salad dressing. Our house always smelled like pork chops and hot vinegar.

Last edited:
This is right out of Grandma Tasty’s kitchen, Green Bean and Potato Salad, circa 1942:

View attachment 86389

Sliced boiled potatoes, cooked green beans raw onion, and some bacon, and the whole thing is doused in a hot vinegar dressing made from the bacon grease and some apple cider vinegar. Some fresh thyme and parsley added as well.

My mom (and her mom as well) made hot bacon dressing virtually every single day. It was, and still is, my mom’s favorite salad dressing. Our house always smelled like pork chops and hot vinegar.

It may be a vintage recipe but it looks contemporary to me. Its not at all what I associate with American potato salad, which at worst can be a pale claggy, dowdy affair. This salad is colourful and zingy looking with lots of texture.

Last edited:
It may be a vintage recipe but it looks contemporary to me. Is not at all what I associate with American potato salad, which at worst can be a pale claggy, dowdy affair. This salad is colourful and zingy looking with lots of texture.
What I like about it is that it’s got a very clean, crisp taste, because of the dressing. There’s no sugar in it to dull the sharpness of the vinegar.

Back
Top Bottom