CookingBites dish of the month (June 2022): potato salad

Any more potato salads in the offing for June? I've got a list of ideas/working notes of which I've posted 3 so far. Yorky, Windigo and TastyReuben have all made potato salads this month and very good they all look.

Here are my raw working notes. Anyone else got some ideas?

Any more potato salads in the offing for June? I've got a list of ideas/working notes of which I've posted 3 so far. Yorky, Windigo and TastyReuben have all made potato salads this month and very good they all look.

View attachment 86702
I am intending to make another one this month, just not yet sure when

I like to sprinkle some paprika on top to make it pretty.
My mom does that. Paprika is the most “exotic” spice she has, so when she breaks that out, it means whatever she made is extra-special and deserving of her secret seasoning:

“Now that there is pap-REEK-ah, an’ you don’ put that on jus’ enah-thang!” - MaTasty

^The main reason I do it is because my mother also does it!
Although I must admit I diverge from her potato salad in one aspect: she refuses to make a potato salad without radishes. I’ll throw them in if I have them, but I’m just as happy to do without.

View attachment 86702

I would love to try your "pot" salad. :laugh:

I actually got a request for my potato salad for this coming Saturday at a family gathering (25 people). It's mostly outside, thankfully. I think I will keep a mask in my pocket for the indoor moments. I made a plan to work before going so I am making the potato salad on Friday and will send it with hubby Saturday, as I will be leaving much earlier than he. My plan is to pretty much show up and then bail as soon as possible. Even though it's an hour away I decided to drive separately so I don't have to wait for hubby to be ready to leave the party. I hate wanting to get the heck out of somewhere when he isn't ready to go...

But at any rate, I have never made potato salad for more than 5-10 people, and I don't use a recipe so we shall see. I will maybe post a photo of the end result but don't expect a "real" recipe, I might list the ingredients and that's about it. Probably will be a large pile of tasting spoons in the sink by the time I am done!

Alsatian potato salad, from Laura Calder’s French Food at Home cookbook and TV program:

The dressing contains no sugar, like some warm potato salads do - just bacon grease, oil, chicken stock, and vinegar.

The peas are very nice in this, and it’s meant to be served room temperature.

^The main reason I do it is because my mother also does it!
Although I must admit I diverge from her potato salad in one aspect: she refuses to make a potato salad without radishes. I’ll throw them in if I have them, but I’m just as happy to do without.

This one has radishes Recipe - Mexican potato salad and we both liked it a lot.

Back
Top Bottom