CookingBites Dish of the Month (June): Savoury Pies & Pasties

I'm pleased to report that I've finally cooked a meat and potato pie which is not the greatest pie submitted for this challenge but it's the best I've managed up to now. Reminiscent of my dear old Mum's pies but significantly inferior. The "crust" was cooked separate to the filling.

The filling - topside beef, pork kidney, onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots, tomato puree and beef stock.

The puff pastry "crust".

I'm pleased to report that I've finally cooked a meat and potato pie which is not the greatest pie submitted for this challenge but it's the best I've managed up to now. Reminiscent of my dear old Mum's pies but significantly inferior. The "crust" was cooked separate to the filling.

The filling - topside beef, pork kidney, onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots, tomato puree and beef stock.

The puff pastry "crust".

It looks lovely to me @Yorky. :hungry: I love steak with kidney.

Well I made some I hadn't tried before but I didn't like the pastry but that's probably because I didn't deep fry them but cooked them in the oven and I think therefore it would have been better off using a shortcrust pastry for that.
The filling, well, the least said the better. The volumes of ingredients didn't seem to work. The recipe called for 2 leeks finely chopped, along with 3 or 4 spring onions and just 12 oz of mash potato. I couldn't mix 1 leek with 150% of that volume of mash (I'd done extra for our evening meal) along with the spring onions. There was way too much filling for the volume of pastry (500g flour) even leaving out one of the leeks. Plus I didn't think much of the taste of the filling either. But hubby had taken some to work with him for lunch so maybe they are better than I think (?).

Perhaps they'll taste better today? The recipe is from Vegistan (cookery book).

View attachment 28688

Next time I'll stick with my tried and trusted aromatic vegetable pasties or maybe try veganising my mushroom turnovers which should be easy to do.

I must admit the filling sounds rather strange - are the leeks cooked? Also, somehow the idea of mashed potato in a pie doesn't set my world on fire. Did it have any spices or herbs in it? I'm being critical of the recipe BTW - not your cooking!

Samosas based on this recipe recommended by @rascal. Its from Indian Cooking by Elizabeth Fulton. They are supposed to be deep fried but as I didn't have enough oil, I baked them. Somehow I managed to cut the pastry up wrongly and couldn't make big enough triangles - so I made little pastie shapes. They tasted good though:

View attachment 28416

View attachment 28417

View attachment 28419

Looks yummy, but I have never seen this shape of samosas. Good Idea!:)

Always eaten cold. Picnic food!

I bought a porkie in a sandwich shop in Grimsby ('82). I asked the attendant to heat it up in the oven. She looked at me stupid.

Grimsby isn't in Yorkshire.

Looks yummy, but I have never seen this shape of samosas. Good Idea!:)

My samosas resemble spring rolls.

served 10 s.jpg

I must admit the filling sounds rather strange - are the leeks cooked? Also, somehow the idea of mashed potato in a pie doesn't set my world on fire. Did it have any spices or herbs in it? I'm being critical of the recipe BTW - not your cooking!
The leeks are not cooked prior to going into the filling. The pasties are that small that the leeks are cooking whilst the pasty cooks. The recipe does say to chop the leeks finely which I most certainly did do rather like a very finely chopped onion. And they do cook more than enough during the cooking process. As for herbs and spices, like most Afghan food, I have found it to be only lightly flavoured relying on salt quite a bit (as well as frying). There's a reasonable amount of salt in both the pastry (which very definitely needs it) and in the filling as well. In addition there's turmeric and chilli. That's all.

As I said I think the pastry itself failed as well. It would probably have been better deep fried. Plus I suspect I left it resting for way too long.

I learnt a long time ago to pretty much double all herbs or spices in recipes in this book, much as I love it. Both my husband and I feel that the recipes have sometimes been westernised too much taking away much of the charm. Certain recipes like this one just don't seem to work at all sadly. Yet that said anything that isn't labelled as "Afghan" works well usually, so my suspicion lies in it being a combination of factors.

As for critical, I am critical of the recipe as well, so don't worry.

Last edited:
Love s steak n kidley pie. No spelling mistake, we all in my family swap the n for an l, ie Sydney is sidley. Don't know how that started !!! But I do love a pie. I have a pie frame that lets you cook 9 pies at a time.
Hmm, thinking.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom