CookingBites Dish of the Month (June): Savoury Pies & Pasties

Anyone remember these?

il_794xN.1129680423_qz4g.jpg

My samosas resemble spring rolls.

Although we have been known to make them triangular (my wife does the clever bit, I just cook the filling).

6 s.jpg

I suppose a samosa could be considered a savory pastie?

Mushroom turnovers from back when the BBC had a BBC Vegetarian magazine. Dated October 1996, so just older than my marriage. I've veganised the recipe. It called for creme fraiche, so lacking any dairy free made up, I creamed cashew nuts with lemon juice. The recipe called for additional lemon juice, so it didn't matter about there being a touch too much in with the cashew nuts.

20190626_183604.jpg
20190626_185003.jpg
20190626_184911.jpg

I'll try for some better images tomorrow.

Vegetable pasties, made with shortcrust pastry, a chopped onion, half a sweet potato, a couple of handfuls of peas, and some carrot, with seasoning. I cooked them on a baking stone, so the pastry was nice and flaky from the heat.
Vegetable pasties.jpg

Vegetable pasties, made with shortcrust pastry, a chopped onion, half a sweet potato, a couple of handfuls of peas, and some carrot, with seasoning. I cooked them on a baking stone, so the pastry was nice and flaky from the heat.View attachment 29046

Nice! The baking stone idea is a good one. Not that I have a baking stone any more since my daughter managed to drop it down the cellar stairs!

Back
Top Bottom