CookingBites dish of the month (October/November 2022): fondue

We had our chilli and garlic oil fondue today, and honestly: we now know why nobody fondues with oil anymore 🤪

The taste was fine but everything kept sliding off our forks and sticking to the bottom. We eventually gave up and turned the meat into Shoarma.

Trying cheese fondue next month! We think that will be much better, because the fondue is thicker.

We had veal steak, beef steak, and chicken. Plus olive bread, olives, mushrooms, cocktail sauce, apple sauce and homemade garlic sauce. Plus some ready made sauces.

we now know why nobody fondues with oil anymore 🤪
We did oil fondue once, I think, and found it to be very splattery/messy. After that, when we wanted to have a meat fondue, we did it using broth instead of oil.

I know zero about oil fondues but it sounds like maybe the oil wasn't hot enough. Maybe someone with more knowledge can comment...

Love your ingredients, though.
The oil was smoking hot, so no that wasn't it. And I know how to check oil :wink: ( you check it by seeing if it bubbels when you put a tiny bit of bread in, it should almost instantly color to golden. If that's the case it's ready for frying. At smoking it's too hot)

But the forks might be faulty

I know zero about oil fondues but it sounds like maybe the oil wasn't hot enough. Maybe someone with more knowledge can comment...

I've done it many times.

I had a non-stick fondue pot, which probably kept the meats from sticking, since I never had that problem.

I occasionally had something fall off of the fork, but not often.

As for splattering, it mostly stayed in the fondue pot. Cleaning the table afterward was no big deal. The shape of my fondue pot may have helped. It tapered in toward the top.

Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 10.58.59 AM.jpg

CD

Back
Top Bottom