CookingBites dish of the month (October/November 2022): fondue

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:22 PM
'Dish of the month' focusses on an accessible and generic dish, so that most of us can join in, cook and post the results. Its non competitive and there is no need to post the recipe unless you want to. This month 'fondue' has been chosen. So, its over to you to cook your finest fondue and post the results in this thread. Any type of fondue is welcome, sweet or savoury. By popular demand we are extending this month's dish through November.

Last edited:
Here's another question:
Do you de-fork the dunked tidbit on to a plate or just eat it animal style :laugh:
Before Seinfeld made us all aware of double-dipping, the idea was to eat it right off the fork…the same fork you’d be sticking back in the cheese. That cheese is hot, though, so let’s just all assume it kills any cooties.

Modern guidance says to either push it off in your plate and eat it with a separate eating utensil, or it’s also permissible to pull the dipper off with your teeth as long as you promise not to actually touch the fork to your mouth (no, really!)…or to just ignore that claptrap and eat fondue the way it was meant to be eaten, germs be damned.

I had a Cuisinart electric fondue pot, but it was a PITA to clean, as it was not submersible or dishwasher safe.

I have a small table-top stove (omelet station at a restaurant) that I can put a small cast iron pot on. The stove is capable of a very low simmer.

1664584254168.jpeg

CD

A little personal background fondue history: being a child of the ‘70’s, I’ve always associated fondue dinner parties (which were very popular in the US in the ‘70’s) with partner-swapping parties (also reputed to be very popular in the ‘70’s). The urban myth was that couples got together, ate some melty, gooey cheese out of a communal pot, and then got down to business with each other.

That was the rumor, anyway.

Later, when I bought my first fondue pot and we had our first fondue night, just MrsT and I, I was making it, and then eating it, and thinking, “Yeah, I get it, this is pretty sexy, all this velvety cheese, stirring our little forks together, I think this is going to be a pretty good night for the Tastys…” :wink: :wink:

30 minutes later, both of us full of about a pound of cheese and a pound of bread and a bottle of wine each, along with shots of kirsch, and there was no way that was in the cards…we we’re barely conscious and couldn’t even move! :laugh:

To this day, though, that’s still the first thing I think of when someone mentions fondue. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom