CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Saffron

Just a note for those of you that have never cooked with saffron before, remember that you can always add more, but you can't take away. Too much saffron and you are going to get a medicinal taste instead of that lovely floral saffron taste, and it's a VERY fine line between just right and too much.

Very true.

Just a note for those of you that have never cooked with saffron before, remember that you can always add more, but you can't take away. Too much saffron and you are going to get a medicinal taste instead of that lovely floral saffron taste, and it's a VERY fine line between just right and too much.
So using the entire jar on my first ever Saffron dish is not advised!!! :p:

My recipe thought: Cod en Papillote with Veggies
Note: Cod was chosen by the dinner guests.
Veggies: Cauliflower (pre-steamed), Yellow Peppers (Julienne cut), Whole snap peas, diced tomatoes. (White, Yellow, Green & Red)
Spices: Lemon slices, garlic, pepper, and saffron
Cod will be marinated in butter and white wine. *New Zealand sauvignon blanc*

Question: How much saffron should I use in each packet?

Question: How much saffron should I use in each packet?

I would make the marinade using the saffron in it. That way, the saffron will permeate the cod. Either heat the butter and add saffron strands to it or cover the strands in boiling water (just enough water to cover them in a tiny bowl) and add it to the marinade. The saffron will go much further that way. I'd add 1/4 tsp for 4 cod fillets. Maximum 1/2 tsp. If you simply sprinkle the saffron in the packets it won't really permeate as much.

Saffron garlic shrimp pasta

2019-04-23 17.56.32.jpg

I've got a back-log of recipes to write up and photos to tweak - 3 of which are for the Challenge. Lots more ideas too. I'm away at the moment staying with my friend (in Saffron Walden!) and I brought some saffron with me (in with a lot of other foodie things in a bag). When I unpacked the bag it was nowhere to be seen! :ohmy:

I've ordered another batch from Amazon to be delivered here to Saffron Walden.

Saffron Walden is so called as it used to be the centre of Saffron production in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom