kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Local time
3:18 AM
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Website
mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com
This recipe makes for either a nice side dish or as a dessert on it's own.
My Mother made this for as long as I could remember, but as she aged, she stopped.
Mom always just called it Cranberry Jell-O® Mold ...
I finally got the (general idea of it) recipe from her a few years back and even found Cranberry flavored Jell-O® online.

Cranberry Jell-O® Salad
Yields 8-10 servings

Ingredients:

6 oz. pkg. Cranberry flavored Jell-O® (Raspberry or Cherry flavor can be used as a sub)
1 ½ C. Water, boiling
14 oz. can Wholeberry Cranberry Sauce
8 oz. can Crushed Pineapple, well drained
8 oz. can Mandarin Orange segments, well drained
2 - 2 ¼ oz. Slivered Almonds

Method:

In a medium sized bowl, dissolve the Jell-O® in the boiling water
Let the Jell-O® stand to cool off a bit
Combine all of the remaining ingredients
Pour mixture into a Mold or *round bottom bowl
Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours, overnight is better
* If using a bowl, be sure to place plastic wrap directly on to the top of the Jell-O® and wrap tightly

IMG_1084 (3).JPG

**Cook's Notes: This Salad will keep in the refrigerator 5-7 days.

I have a Tupperware® Jell-O® mold that makes this salad look lovely.

My mother used to make something similar - cherry jello, a homemade relish made from sugar, navel oranges and cranberries, crushed pineapple, finely chopped celery and walnuts. She made it in a ring mold too. It was NOT a favorite of mine, but I was in the minority. My aunt called me for the recipe the first Thanksgiving after mother passed since she always brought that and everybody wanted it. I had to dig deep in the memory because I hadn't had it on my table since mother moved back to Kentucky over 15 years ago at that time.

She took oranges, cut into sections, peel, pith, seeds, all of it, plus a bag of cranberries and sugar, and blitzed it in a blender. She would make several batches and freeze some of them so she could make the jello salad year round. I don't remember the proportions, but I could probably find in my old computer files if anyone is interested.

It always had a horribly bitter taste to me, but apparently not others. It wasn't until years later that I realized the pith was the bitter taste. Plus, i wasn't fond of the celery and walnuts either.

When I gave the recipe to my aunt, i suggested she peel the zest, discard the pith, and get rid of the seeds, and cut down the sugar a bit to get rid of the bitter.

Oh, i always got to drink the drained pineapple juice. That was the best part of that salad to me.

Back
Top Bottom