Recipe Creamy Vegetable Pie with Eggs

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
10:46 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
This makes use of a creamy cauliflower sauce which can be found here (https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/vegan-creamy-cauliflower-sauce.8330) but there is no reason as to why you could not use a cheese sauce if you wanted to.

You can use whatever veg you want that can be sliced along with leaves such as kale or spinach. I used sweet potato, potato, red onion, red pepper, courgettes, carrots, broad beans, borlotti beans as well as the cauliflower in the creamy cauliflower sauce. You can leave out the coconut oil cheese if you can't get hold of it, replace it with something else if you want (such as a dairy based cheddar cheese if you are so inclined), or add cashew nut cheese if you wanted to.

I made this in 3 dishes of this size below. It serves between 6-8 people depending on if you are serving it with something else, but the dish has a lot of protein in it already and does not really need to be served with additional anything :whistling:. I stopped the other 2 dishes at the end of step 3 and reheated the oven the next day to cook the next dish etc.

IMG_6062.JPG

Ingredients
1 tin borlotti beans, drained and washed
1/2 a batch of creamy cauliflower sauce
2 large floury potatoes, thickly sliced
1 large sweet potato, thickly sliced
1-2 carrots, sliced
1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
1 red onion, halved and sliced thickly
2 courgettes, sliced
frozen broad beans
1/2 packet coconut oil cheese, finely grated
6-8 eggs
1 egg beaten with almond milk (or other milk)
3 sheets puff pastry (if using 3 bowls)

Method
  1. In a large pan, bring some water to the boil and part boil the potatoes for 5 mins, add the sweet potatoes and the carrots and boil for another 5 minutes. Now drain before they are full cooked.
  2. In a large cooking bowl (or several small ones) cover the bottom of the bowl with the borlotti beans and add a layer of creamy cauliflower sauce.
  3. Then layer the sliced potatoes, sweet potatoes & carrots, red pepper, red onion, courgettes and then broad beans, adding a final layer of creamy cauliflower sauce to the top.
  4. Add the grated coconut oil cheese before covering with foil and placing in the oven for 1-1 1/2 hours at 200C. I just let the oven warm up with the pie in it.
  5. Once everything is sizzling hot, crack open the eggs over the top of the sizzly hot vegetables and add the puff pastry top. Glaze the pastry and cut a steam vent into the top.
  6. Turn up the oven temp to 220C and cook until the puff pastry is browning, roughly 10-15 minutes. You could also grill it, to keep the eggs runny but cook the pastry...
Edit: Please note I have edited this post to indicate serving sizes.

Looks great! And I'm thinking this is a rather filling pie!
It serves 6-8 I think. The dish looks smaller than it is and I had 3 of varying sizes, so it made 3 nights with us reheating the veg at step 4 and cooking it, adding the eggs, cooking and pastry top afterwards etc. I think with it being a soft dish and also not having a huge number of calories in it, but packed with protein, it was easy to eat that dish between the 2 of us each night.

I had better edit the recipe to indicate that :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom