Recipe Crispy fried egg with whipped garlic yoghurt

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:40 PM
This is inspired by a Turkish dish called cilbir. Most recipes for this dish use poached eggs but I noticed in a recipe book I have, that the Turkish author described this dish as using fried eggs. Here, I’ve used crispy fried eggs because I think their texture contrasts well with the smooth yoghurt. The almost black, urfa biba flakes have a wonderful smoky taste but if you can’t get them, use red chilli flakes. There are whole articles written about how to fry crispy eggs. Its essential to start frying them on a high heat so the oil splutters and as soon as the edges brown, either lower the heat or remove from the heat in order to baste the white but retain the runny yolk.

Cilbir is traditionally served with room temperature yoghurt, but I prefer to heat it slightly. The microwave is ideal for doing this. Serve with flatbread or crusty French bread.

Ingredients
1 garlic clove, peeled and finely minced or grated
200g of Greek style yoghurt (at room temperature)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp Aleppo chilli flakes
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 eggs
Urfa biber pepper flakes
Dill or other fresh green herbs to garnish

Method
  1. Place the yoghurt in a bowl with the garlic and whisk for 10 seconds to combine. Set aside.
  2. Heat the olive oil in a pan and mix in the Aleppo chilli flakes. Cook gently until the oil colours. Set aside.
  3. Crack each egg into an individual small bowlHeat the vegetable oil to a high heat in a non-stick frying pan.
  4. Add the eggs (I prefer to cook one at a time) allowing them to fry until the edges of the white become crispy and brown. Remove from the heat and baste the white gently with the oil until set.
  5. If heating the yoghurt, microwave on high for 45 seconds.
  6. To serve, spoon half the yoghurt on each plate, creating circular indentations with the back of a spoon.
  7. Place a fried egg in the centre of each plate. Drizzle the chilli oil around over the yoghurt.
  8. Sprinkle the urfa biber pepper flakes over the egg yolk and a few dill sprigs over the yoghurt.

Looks fabulous as usual MG, but not a fan of high heat while cooking fried eggs, reminds me of having a piece of the carton in my eggs.

I like them crispy at the edges so long as the white is soft set and the yolk runny. That's the tricky bit here. You have to start on a high heat and judge when to turn them down or take off heat to finish the cooking without ending up with a rubbery white and set yolk.

I like fried eggs without crispy edges too and eggs almost any which way except overcooked scrambled egg which seems the way most American diners cook it. But that's another story...

Back
Top Bottom