d5fc.jpg

http://www.joyouslydomestic.com/2012/12/crispy-potato-roast.html
Ingredients:
3 tablespoon butter, melted
3tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
10-12 russet potatoes, peeled
Kosher salt
1 small onion or 4 shallots, peeled and sliced very thin
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
4-6 fresh thyme sprigs
About 3 ounces pancetta, cubed

Directions"
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Combine the oil and melted butter in a small dish. Set aside
Brush a round baking dish ( around 9-10 inches) with a little of the butter and oil mixture.
Slice potatoes as thin as possible crosswise. Arrange potatoes vertically in the baking dish. Wedge onion or shallot slices throughout potato slices - in about 3 or 4 sections of each potato. Sprinkle with salt and pepper flakes (use some black pepper if not using red pepper flakes). Brush with remaining butter and oil mixture.

Bake 1 hour and 25 minutes uncovered. If you find at anytime througout baking that the potatoes are too dry a little of the olive oil/butter from the bottom of the baking dish can be brused on the slices. Also, a butter knife can be used to separate some of the slices if there are some sticking together too much.

While the potatoes are baking, brown the pancetta in a small pan. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Set aside.

'Whenever it suits you" (my own words) sprinkle the pancetta and arrange thyme beautifully on the top and bake for an additional 35 mins.

Whew!!! That was a lot to type. Hats off to the typists in the forum. Anyway this is something I would gladly make. Having the fancy machine for slicing ( can't remember the name) would be great but doing it by hand would work for me. I would also use whatever bacon or ham I have,in place of the pancetta which I gathered was from Italy.

d5fc.jpg

http://www.joyouslydomestic.com/2012/12/crispy-potato-roast.html
Ingredients:
3 tablespoon butter, melted
3tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

10-12 russet potatoes, peeled
Kosher salt
1 small onion or 4 shallots, peeled and sliced very thin
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
4-6 fresh thyme sprigs
About 3 ounces pancetta, cubed

Directions"
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Combine the oil and melted butter in a small dish. Set aside
Brush a round baking dish ( around 9-10 inches) with a little of the butter and oil mixture.
Slice potatoes as thin as possible crosswise. Arrange potatoes vertically in the baking dish. Wedge onion or shallot slices throughout potato slices - in about 3 or 4 sections of each potato. Sprinkle with salt and pepper flakes (use some black pepper if not using red pepper flakes). Brush with remaining butter and oil mixture.

Bake 1 hour and 25 minutes uncovered. If you find at anytime througout baking that the potatoes are too dry a little of the olive oil/butter from the bottom of the baking dish can be brused on the slices. Also, a butter knife can be used to separate some of the slices if there are some sticking together too much.

While the potatoes are baking, brown the pancetta in a small pan. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Set aside.

'Whenever it suits you" (my own words) sprinkle the pancetta and arrange thyme beautifully on the top and bake for an additional 35 mins.

Whew!!! That was a lot to type. Hats off to the typists in the forum. Anyway this is something I would gladly make. Having the fancy machine for slicing ( can't remember the name) would be great but doing it by hand would work for me. I would also use whatever bacon or ham I have,in place of the pancetta which I gathered was from Italy.

So is this another entry for the competition? My, things are hotting up on the potato front!

But why are you typing everything out? Can't you just 'copy and paste' from the website?

Just looking at the photos made me salivate already. How I love to be your neighbor so I can have a sample of that potato if it really good. It looks like a fleshy chips. Maybe I can add bacon flakes for flavoring. This Wednesday and Thursday are declared holidays due to the APEC (Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation) meeting. I guess that is a good opportunity to try this recipe of yours since it is easy to cook. And for the boys, I'm sure they would love this crispy potatoes with soda or beer.

Wow this looks really good. I can't wait to give it a try. It is one of those recipes that I know without a doubt that my friend will love. Thanks for sharing this. It is definitely going to be on the menu for sometime in the next little while.

I would add some ground beef to this recipe to give it some meaty flavor to it. I would prefer not to remove the potato skins to save time. Some says the skins are rich in nutrients too. I had done something like this but I do not have the patience to cut them so thinly that is why I opted to make some wedges. I love the presentation

So is this another entry for the competition? My, things are hotting up on the potato front!

But why are you typing everything out? Can't you just 'copy and paste' from the website?

I thought that was not allowed. I get a little confuse with the rules. It was for the competition but I think it was missed. I submitted one for the egg plants but I think I have to get something right about tagging. I can be a little slow when it comes to understanding how to complete some task.

Back to the recipe. This is something I would try for sure. It just looks so inviting and looks like one of those recipes that should never go wrong where you can mix and match by playing around with other ingredients.

I thought that was not allowed. I get a little confuse with the rules. It was for the competition but I think it was missed. I submitted one for the egg plants but I think I have to get something right about tagging. I can be a little slow when it comes to understanding how to complete some task.

Back to the recipe. This is something I would try for sure. It just looks so inviting and looks like one of those recipes that should never go wrong where you can mix and match by playing around with other ingredients.

No its fine to copy and paste. Its just that the recipe needs to appear in full on Cookingbites (not just a link to a website). You seem to have tagged the aubergine recipe correctly but @SatNavSaysStraightOn 's rules say you also need to post a link to your recipe on the 'Recipe Challenge' thread. To be honest, I didn't know how to do that properly. But I discovered that if you go to the forum list where your recipe is posted you can highlight the title of your recipe and save it as a link. You then go to the Recipe Challenge thread and paste in the link. I probably haven't explained that very well! Other people are also not doing this. Personally, I think it makes things a bit complicated. @SatNavSaysStraightOn said she was going to post instructions on how to do it.

Anyway, I'm keeping a list of all the entries so yours will be counted in, whatever!

It was for the competition but I think it was missed
it wasn't missed. :okay:
I also added the tags. if you look in the first picture (click on it) on this link https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/the-cookingbites-recipe-challenge.6160/page-4#post-41873 you will see it was the 2nd one down!

It is why adding the tags is useful. If you go to the top of this list and click on potatoes you will get a list of every thread with the potato tag irrespective of where on the forum it is. Obviously if a recipe isn't tagged with the potato thread it won't show in this list, but it is a start.

Also did I read that you had posted somewhere that you wanted broccoli recipes?

Anyway, I'm keeping a list of all the entries so yours will be counted in, whatever!
One of the tags is "CookingBites Recipe Challenge" and until people get the hang of things I will add it on to all recipes that involve aubergines until the end of the current challenge (all except for any from classic who knows what he is doing (apparently) :giggle: ) So if you go to the top of the challenge page where the tag is and click on the tag, you will get all recipes that have aubergine in them that are in the challenge. If you were to click on the aubergine tag from a recipe, you will get all threads (not just recipes) that have the aubergine/egg plant tag on them no matter if they were in the challenge or not. Hope that last bit makes sense.
I have an easy way of clearing out the tags for the challenge each time the challenge ends and a new one starts, so the "CookingBites Recipe Challenge" tag will always be the current challenge only.

Back
Top Bottom