TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
2:12 PM
Crockpot Ribs
Makes 6 servings

Ingredients
3 1/2 to 4 pounds pork ribs cut into individual ribs (spare ribs, baby back, or country-style will all work - remove the silverskin if you like)
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup molasses
2 TB apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp hot sauce
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Spray a 6-quart or larger slow cooker with nonstick spray. Add the ribs in an even layer.

In a small bowl or large measuring cup, stir together the ketchup, molasses, vinegar, hot sauce, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.

Pour half of the sauce over the ribs, then cover the sauce bowl and save the rest in the refrigerator.

Cover the ribs and cook on LOW for 8 hours, until they are cooked and ultra-tender. Serve immediately with the reserved sauce (I like to warm up the extra sauce for serving too).

NOTE: You can substitute 2-3 cups of your favorite store-bought sauce or other sauce recipe for the one above.

Also, slow cookers can vary, so you may wish to check these at around the 6-hour point.

The sauce, especially with the molasses in it, can burn and stick pretty easily without it, especially if it’s left too long. It helps with clean-up.

I thought that but also thought that a bit of non-stick spray wouldn't make much difference. Now I'm thinking 'what is nonstick spray'? :ohmy: I read it as meaning just a low fat oil spray but maybe its something different...

I thought that but also thought that a bit of non-stick spray wouldn't make much difference. Now I'm thinking 'what is nonstick spray'? :ohmy: I read it as meaning just a low fat oil spray but maybe its something different...
It’s just that vegetable oil spray from a can. Pam is the leading brand here.

I've slow cooked some ribs in my Big Crock, using THIS recipe (Link below) of Lip Smakin' BBQ Sauce! Came out good & DELISH!!!

Recipe - Lip Smackin' BBQ Sauce.

Last edited:
Crockpot ribs...one of the modern kitchen's great things. I prepare them basically the way you show here, but when I'm feeling lazy (like today), I dump in Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce after after applying a rub to the ribs. After the slow cooking, I put the ribs on a baking sheet, add some more BBQ Sauce, and put it under the broiler to add a glaze to the surface. I'm mentioning this now because I've got a slab in the crockpot now, and I plan on enjoying them later.

Crockpot ribs...one of the modern kitchen's great things. I prepare them basically the way you show here, but when I'm feeling lazy (like today), I dump in Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce after after applying a rub to the ribs. After the slow cooking, I put the ribs on a baking sheet, add some more BBQ Sauce, and put it under the broiler to add a glaze to the surface. I'm mentioning this now because I've got a slab in the crockpot now, and I plan on enjoying them later.

At times, I choose one of the many ways to do it! I do it in THIS also. The Ninja Foodi. It can be programmed to pressue cook the meat for about a 1/2 hour or so, then using the air fryer, I brown the ribs a little then smear the BBQ sauce on them & finish them for several more minutes, & they're done! Also, I sometimes use the stovetop smoker, which give the the ribs a light smokey flavor. Nice!!!!

Last edited:
Spray a 6-quart or larger slow cooker with nonstick spray.

I've seen this direction in many, if not all, slow cooker ribs recipes. I've been ignoring it, and haven't seen any issues. I'm guessing you'd need this to keep them from sticking to the sides if you have a recipe with a relatively small amount of liquid in the pot.

Or, you can also get some of THESE - Slow Cooker Liners, to make cleanup a snap!! Just line the slow cooker with one of them before putting the food in!! I've never used them, but I heard that they come in very handy!! Hah!! :whistling:

Last but not least, for hard-to-remove food residue in the cooker, dishes, pots & pans, get some of THIS - Dawn Dish Power Spray. It helps to removes stubborn residue & gets the slow cooker insert sparkling clean & it won't etch aluminum!! Amazon has it. I got some of it!! :whistling:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom