Recipe Curried Thai aubergine

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:08 PM
Thai aubergines (eggplants) are rather different from the purple skinned, spongy fleshed type. They are smaller than ping pong balls and either green or white with a crisp flesh. They can be eaten raw or added to stir fries, retaining their crisp texture. Here I cooked them until tender which takes rather longer than for purple aubergines. You could use purple aubergine in this dish. Cut it into chunks and cook for less time at stage 3.

Ingredients (serves 2)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
½ tsp brown mustard seeds
½ tsp asafoetida
1 tbsp garlic and ginger paste
1 chopped red birds-eye chilli
1 chopped green bird’s eye chilli
½ tbsp Kashmiri chilli powder
1 tsp ground turmeric
½ tbsp ground coriander
150g Thai aubergine, halved
75 ml water
75g plain yoghurt
Salt to taste
Fresh curry leaves and a little oil

Method
  1. Heat the oil and add the mustard seeds and asafoetida in a frying pan or flat bottomed wok. Fry until the mustard seeds crackle.
  2. Add the ginger and garlic paste and chillies. Cook over a medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes.
  3. Add the chilli powder, turmeric, coriander and water and mix well. Add the halved Thai aubergines and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes until the aubergine is tender and the sauce has reduced. Add more water if the sauce reduces too much.
  4. Allow the mixture to cool slightly and stir the yoghurt into the sauce. Heat gently (do not allow to boil) until the sauce is heated through. Add salt to taste.
  5. In a separate pan heat a little oil and add the curry leaves, frying for a few seconds. Scatter the leaves over the curry.

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks amazing. Sadly I've not seen Thai aubergines for sale over here , just normal and Lebanese aubergines. I'll have to see if I can source the seeds to grow my own.

Just to clarify. Is it 1tbsp of garlic & ginger paste (a combined paste) or 1tbsp each of garlic paste & ginger paste?

That looks amazing. Sadly I've not seen Thai aubergines for sale over here , just normal and Lebanese aubergines. I'll have to see if I can source the seeds to grow my own.

Just to clarify. Is it 1tbsp of garlic & ginger paste (a combined paste) or 1tbsp each of garlic paste & ginger paste?

Thank you.

Combined garlic and ginger paste was what I used - so 1 and a half tsp of each. But to be honest it doesn't need to be very precise.

Back
Top Bottom