Recipe Dairy free Pumpkin Eggnog

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
5:11 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I've been eating and discussing eggs all week but have yet to actually come up with a recipe that involves eggs (that I haven't already posted on here previously) for the latest ingredient challenge. I mean, exactly how can I claim a recipe that basically involves one ingredient and seasoning? So I have had to go on a hunt.

With the run up to Halloween, the need for an egg and I'm only really fancying very soft food or preferably liquids, plus the need for a little tlc I decided that this recipe hit the spot. I don't often drink but this is one of the few occasions when I will break that rule. When I'm I'll and needing tlc.

So inspired by this recipe http://champagne-tastes.com/cocktails/pumpkin-eggnog/ I have adapted and amended to what I have available and what is dairy free. This serves 2, hence the 2 shots of Whisky and will keep in the fridge for upto 3 days in an air tight container.

Shortcuts include having a tin on pumpkin purée to hand, if sweetened use even less suggest; bring able to have soya cream readily available, though this isn't very thick so you may have problems and need to reduce the volume of milk or cream used and not being allergic to dairy which will make the cream side of life simpler (use double cream or extra thick cream) and not require 12hrs planning to make the cashew nut cream.

Niceties include having your own fresh eggs lain each morning, and using your favourite spirit. Sadly the final one I'll fail on because I'm in the wrong hemisphere, freshly grown squash or pumpkin from your own veg plot or allotment.

Ingredients
2 eggs, separated
25-30g golden caster sugar, plus 2 tsp extra kept aside (sugar is to taste and also if dairy free milk has any added)
75g pureed pumpkin (any squash pureed will do)
125ml unsweetened Almond/cashew nut milk
125ml cashew nut cream (or more milk with 1tbsp rice flour/tapioca starch)
100ml (2 shots) favourite Whisky (or brandy)
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg or cinnamon or both

Instructions

1. Beat the egg yolks in large bowl until they lighten in colour. Add in the golden caster sugar and mix well. If you like things less sweet use less.
  2. Beat in the pureed pumpkin until well blended.
  3. Slowly add in the milk and cream, combining well.
  4. Carefully add the Whisky and spices until well blended.
  5. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs whites until stiff, then add the 2tsp golden caster sugar and beat briefly until combined.
  6. Fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture so it is well incorporated and no egg white can be seen.
  7. If possible allow to stand for at least an hour to thicken.
  8. Beat briefly before serving with a sprinkling of extra spice on top.
I'll add a photo when I make it on Sunday hopefully!

Oh...too sweet for me. But where is the photo:D?
It must be public knowledge I am all about the photo. I rushed here looking for the photo.....where is it? Well I am guessing it might look like this?
DSC5456.jpg

It must be public knowledge I am all about the photo. I rushed here looking for the photo.....where is it? Well I am guessing it might look like this?
DSC5456.jpg
not a hope! those creations are an abomination to cooking!
Oh...too sweet for me. But where is the photo:D?
Too sweet? That is between 2 people, just add less sugar.
And as for the photo. It is like everything else here - time never permitted. I will have another attempt this weekend. I promise. I am just too tired at the moment and don't have enough hours in the day. I have been told by both my husband and my doctor that I am trying to do too much with my broken ribs and they won't heal if I don't stop. I haven't yet stopped :(

I mean that I'm not a fan of pumpkin, squash (except marrow) or sweet potatoes. They are just too sweetish for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom