SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
3:49 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
20230202_124445_Opera.jpg

Image courtesy of Waitrose website

I've modified the original recipe slightly because I needed it dairy free. It is by chance also gluten-free (if your baking powder is gluten-free).

I prefer to use frozen raspberries simply because they mix in better without disintergrating and ideally they will remain whole this way.

I don't like overly sweet things so the sugar ratio has been dropped in both the cake and the syrup and you could try omitting the sugar from the drizzle completely if you'd prefer. Just reduce (as in simmer down) the orange juice until it is about half the volume it was.

Ingredients
200g vegan butter (I prefer the Recipe - European Style Cultured Vegan Butter from here)
175-200g golden caster sugar plus 2 tbsp for the syrup
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract or ½ tsp orange essence
100g fine Polenta
225g ground almonds
1 heaped tsp baking powder
2 oranges, finely grated zest and juice
175g frozen raspberries
2 tbsp flaked almonds (optional)
2 tbsp orange liqueur (optional)

Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 140°C. Grease & line with greaseproof paper, an 8" loose bottomed/springform cake tin.
  2. Cream the butter with the sugar until very light & fluffy and several shades paler. Stop & Scrape down the sides several times during whisking. Slowly add the eggs one at a time, beating constantly to ensure a light and fluffy mixture. Mix in the vanilla essence/orange essence and the orange zest.
  3. Fold in the polenta, ground almonds and baking powder, then add the frozen raspberries, mix well but gently and pour/spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin. Scatter the flakes almonds over the top if using.
  4. Cook in the oven for 1¼-1½hrs. So not open the door during the first hour because there is no gluten in this cake. Test with a skewer: it should come out cleanly when the cake is cooked. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before adding the drizzle. If the flaked almonds start to get too dark, cover with greaseproof paper or foil.
  5. Whilst the cake is cooling down, make up the orange drizzle to go over it. Seive the orange juice to remove any pulp, then combine the orange juice, orange liqueur (if using) and the sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Simmer gently for about 10 minutes until the drizzle thickens. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
  6. Skewer the cooling cake with a toothpick about 100 times. This is easier if you didn't add the optional flakes almonds, but aim to work around the almonds if you can. Don't worry about it too much though because the orange drizzle will stick to the almond flakes. Finally spoon over the still warm orange drizzle over the still warm cake.
  7. Now for the hard part. Let the cake steep overnight in the fridge for maximum absorption of the drizzle.

The original Waitrose recipe can be found here Raspberry And Orange Polenta Cake Recipe | Waitrose & Partners . I've modified it slightly based on another polenta cake recipe I like Recipe - Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Lemon Polenta Cake.

Back
Top Bottom