Decoding cryptic usernames

I took this photo of my favourite rose in the garden and I use it in other places too.
I was thinking of something foodie for my name that describes me! My first name begins with K.

My nickname I think is quite intuitive..I was looking for an English name for my little cooking site and I did not really know what to invent. I had some ideas but nothing so enthusiastic for me. And one day, just while I was cooking, I took a pinch of salt and then a pinch of pepper and I thought that the translation from Italian "un pizzico di...." to English " a pinch of.." (then became of Italy) would be cute (at least for me), and not too pretentious. A little thing like a pinch.
The logo is a design that, just like the name, should represent me as I cook and add my pinch of salt / Italy. The design is made by graphic friend of mine. I liked the idea of making me like a bit cartoon. I use the same logo and nickname also on facebook..that's it!

Last edited:
I've had the name Morning Glory since early days on the internet (early 1990's). I chose it first of all because in those days I belonged to what used to be known as 'mailing lists'. The lists I belonged to were poetry lists and I became quite well known for my poetry under that name. The choice was based on my love for zen poetry which often mentions the morning glory flower. Morning Glory (Latin name Ipomoaea) is also my favourite flower. I love the intense colour and fragility. The flowers last but a day.

In fact, I also use the name on FB which I suppose is unusual because most people use their own names there. The reason for that is that I used to work under another name (name from a long gone marriage) which was in fact not my real name. I've no idea why I ever got married or decided to adopt his name - a practice which I find sexist and archaic. But it was the early 70's and I guess I wasn't as aware as I am now. We divorced within a year or so of getting married and I have never married since. Anyway, to cut a long story short, most people in the professional side of my career know me by that name (a name I dislike). I made several documentary films under that name which were quite successful so it made sense to hang on to it for professional purposes. It isn't my legal name
I really didn't want that name as a FB identity - but if I'd used my real name nobody would have known who I was. So I reverted to Morning Glory.

So that's the story of Morning Glory. Unfortunately the name has other slightly lewd connotations which I try to ignore!

I've had the name Morning Glory since early days on the internet (early 1990's). I chose it first of all because in those days I belonged to what used to be known as 'mailing lists'. The lists I belonged to were poetry lists and I became quite well known for my poetry under that name. The choice was based on my love for zen poetry which often mentions the morning glory flower. Morning Glory (Latin name Ipomoaea) is also my favourite flower. I love the intense colour and fragility. The flowers last but a day.

In fact, I also use the name on FB which I suppose is unusual because most people use their own names there. The reason for that is that I used to work under another name (name from a long gone marriage) which was in fact not my real name. I've no idea why I ever got married or decided to adopt his name - a practice which I find sexist and archaic. But it was the early 70's and I guess I wasn't as aware as I am now. We divorced within a year or so of getting married and I have never married since. Anyway, to cut a long story short, most people in the professional side of my career know me by that name (a name I dislike). I made several documentary films under that name which were quite successful so it made sense to hang on to it for professional purposes. It isn't my legal name
I really didn't want that name as a FB identity - but if I'd used my real name nobody would have known who I was. So I reverted to Morning Glory.

So that's the story of Morning Glory. Unfortunately the name has other slightly lewd connotations which I try to ignore!
I don't think I have ever seen this flower in real life...and, since they last a day, maybe that's why!

I'd be interested to know the topics of the documentaries you made - were they for TV?

I don't think I have ever seen this flower in real life...and, since they last a day, maybe that's why!

I'd be interested to know the topics of the documentaries you made - were they for TV?

I'll PM you.

The flowers last only a day but they come in quick succession so there is never a lack of flowers once it starts to flower. I have grown them once or twice with great success. But not recently. They are annuals.

6 years ago my husband and I decided to change our lives. We decided to go off and attempt to cycle around the world.
We needed a new ID online, something totally different from our old ID and something that reflected what we were about to do.
We finally settled on Sat Nav Says Straight On which has been abbreviated to SNSSO over the years.

Why?
We would often see people with SatNav/TomTom/GPS devices in the cars, usually when driving along a dual carriage way or motorway. And we would often look at them and wonder exactly how difficult was it to remember to turn off at Exit 40? Did you really need to program in a route that told you to stay on the motorway for the next 200 miles? 999 times out of 1,000 (or at least it felt like that) it would say 'straight on' and it became a game on some of the rather longer car journeys we used to undertake (Portsmouth to the Outer Hebrides (for those not in the UK, that is basically the entire length of England and Scotland combined and then some more...)) or Portsmouth to Stockholm (Sweden) and then carry on north for another 3-4 hours... that kind of thing. One we did regularly was Portsmouth to Pitlochry, turn left and head inland for an hour... an 10-11hr journey if and only if you left at 6am in the morning! Leave later and you were looking at 14hrs or more (550 miles) Anyhow, the point was that we never used SatNav or TomTom or any GPS devices. It didn't match with our lives and our mountaineering and we didn't intend to start using it for our tour. We didn't get why people needed it. In fact we did the whole thing (a year on the road and 14,000km or 9,000 miles) using paper maps only. We didn't need a SatNav to tell us to go straight on, especially with some of the roads we were going to be cycling. Cycle to the end of the road (5 days away), turn left, cycle for another 5 days.... and so on. (You should always go straight on (if possible) if you are lost, that way returning to your last known, confirmed point is much easier than the 'did we go left or right here?' scenario.) Hence, SatNavSaysStraightOn

The Avatar....
Pure and simply we used to watch Xena Warrior Princess and loved Calisto, hence my avatar.

BTW - I have tried changing my avatar (used on several other sites along with my SNSSO) and within a day, I had been inundated in messages, PMs, even a thread at one point asking me to return to her. People actually got upset that I had stopped using her!

And I'm not blond either!

Love your story.
Now I love my Garmin especially for getting through Dallas-Fort Worth and San Antonio. It lets you know what lane to be in so you don't accidentally get on the wrong road. Easy to do in both places.
But yes for just driving across the state, about useless. In 250 miles be in either of the two right lanes to stay on the same road.

When I first left home in '69 to work away, I started in Abergavenny, Monmouthshire. It was a pipeline construction job and the American spread boss Christened me "Yorky" because his wife had a Yorkshire Terrier "which was also daft" he said. No-one in Yorkshire calls me Yorky of course.

[Edit: The spread boss's name was Jack Suttles (how's that for a memory?)]

My avatar just signifies my love of hot chilis.

Last edited:
When I first left home in '69 to work away, I started in Abergavenny, Monmouthshire. It was a pipeline construction job and the American spread boss Christened me "Yorky" because his wife had a Yorkshire Terrier "which was also daft" he said. No-one in Yorkshire calls me Yorky of course.

[Edit: The spread boss's name was Jack Suttles (how's that for a memory?)]

My avatar just signifies my love of hot chilis.
Now what were you doing this time last month?

Now what were you doing this time last month?

Not a clue!

It always fascinates me that on "Crime Series" TV shows the alleged perpetrator is asked "where were you on 6th June last year?" And they know!

I have trouble remembering where I was on 6th of June this year and that was only yesterday. Or the day before maybe.

Back
Top Bottom