Deep fried pork skins

I ate pork skins when I was younger, as I became more aware of what I should and should not eat the skins were one of the first things I stopped eating. I do like them but most reduce my salt intake.

I lived in the Caribbean island Dominican Republic for a few years. They have a street where they sell pork rinds in every other corner. The call it chicharron (pronounced chee-chah-rron). Since I'm a huge pork lover, I used to go there at least once a month with my friends and we'd try the different tastes and styles of pork rinds. The coolest part about the whole experience is that some of the vendors would actually cook the pork rinds right there, so you'd know it was fresh. They season them with the local herbs, salt, vinegar/lemon, and black pepper. The best part of the Dominican pork rinds is that sellers leave on a few layers of meat so its not just the skin that you're eating. It's like heaven in your mouth.

Pardon me for this post, not intended to overshadow the pork rind.

I always enjoy it whenever my husband would cook pork with the skin. It is a difficult task because the cooking oil would always try to get out of the pan and into the cook. What he does is to boil the pork (meat and skin) and then fry the pork cuts. It is called lechon kawali to mean pork that is roasted in a pan. It has a much better taste than the crackling pork rinds because lechon kawali has meat.

Back
Top Bottom