Recipe Dijon Mustard & Tarragon Ice Cream

Mustard ice-cream might sound a bit strange but well… someone had to do it. Dijon, which is after all quite a sweet mustard, is intended to add a tang to the ice-cream which compliments the anise tarragon flavour. The basic ice cream recipe is a kulfi (an Indian ice-cream) and the great thing about kulfi is that its ‘no churn’. Make it in a saucepan, pour into moulds, freeze and that’s it! Remove from the freezer 30 mins (depending on room temperature) before serving to allow the ice-cream to soften.

Did I like it? Not really! It tasted, well... strange. Maybe it needed more sugar and less mustard. But anyway, as I had written it up and taken photos I thought I might as well post it.

View attachment 29687

Ingredients
250 ml whole milk
150 ml evaporated milk
15 g caster sugar (or to taste)
1 tsp dried tarragon
1 tbsp Dijon mustard (or to taste)
1 tsp cornflour

Method
  1. Place the milks and tarragon in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook slowly until reduced by half. Sieve into a jug to remove the tarragon bits.
  2. Return the milk to the saucepan. Heat gently, gradually adding the sugar, mixing and tasting as you go until it seems sweet enough.
  3. Mix the cornflour with a little water to a smooth paste. Add to the pan together with the mustard. Stir and heat gently until the mixture thickens.
View attachment 29688

10/10 for presentation.

Russ

I think you are missing a trick here! Maybe not a great pudding, but imaging a spoonful of that on top of a bite sized Yorkshire pudding, topped off with a slither of rare roast beef - canapé heaven! Beef, tarragon, mustard - perfect.

I remain unconvinced - somehow it tasted 'sickly'.

Back
Top Bottom