Dining Etiquette

Serendipity! ;-)

P.S. I hope Mrs. Tasty feels better after she's rested.
Thanks for the well wishes.

I didn't tell you the best part about the movie.

I'm in the habit of watching everything with captioning/subtitles on. When the scene opened and the main theme started playing, guess what the subtitle said underneath all these fit young women jiggling across the screen?

...wait for it...

"(perky music)"

:roflmao:

Thanks for the well wishes.

I didn't tell you the best part about the movie.

I'm in the habit of watching everything with captioning/subtitles on. When the scene opened and the main theme started playing, guess what the subtitle said underneath all these fit young women jiggling across the screen?

...wait for it...

"(perky music)"

:roflmao:

Would it be on Netflix?? :)

Russ

How often do you feel comfortable serving guests on paper plates, plastic glasses and plastic spoons, forks and knives?

What setting justifies that? Or do you do it to avoid washing dishes when your evening is going to get too busy to attend to cleaning up?

How often do you feel comfortable serving guests on paper plates, plastic glasses and plastic spoons, forks and knives?

What setting justifies that? Or do you do it to avoid washing dishes when your evening is going to get too busy to attend to cleaning up?
Never. Disposable plates, glasses, etc, are not environmentally friendly and in my opinion they're unnecessary too. I'd make an exception if I had kids and was throwing a kids party, I'd be terrified of the children destroying stuff :laugh:

What setting justifies that?
Well, it's been a looong time since we've had guests, preCovid, possibly 2,5 y ago...hm...no, back then, I served on normal plates and normal silverware. We don't get to entertain very often, as it is a tiny flat, and cannot comfortably sit more than two...Although I'd love to do that sometime later in life. Love to have a big dining room, big table with at least 8 chairs, going to be used just for that.

But, as I mentioned in another post, I did use paper plates before getting my dishwasher. Recently. It was a jammed time with lots of work, I'd be so juiced out in the evening, and gone all day, dishes would pile up, so, this was a quick fix. We don't do that now, as the dishwasher is up and running. It is such a great help. Loving it.

But as Lisa mentioned, kids party, or adults party outdoors, for sure, yes. We don't get to party all that often, so the once or twice a year is fine with the plastic waste.

But you know, all the takeaways and the coffees to go are served in either plastic or paper, or a mix, I'd love to see more recycled plastic and more enviromentally friendly materials. I think things are moving in that direction, as plastic bags got forbidden. Not completely, but diminished at least...

We separate the garbage at home and get it recycled, so that gives me a hope I'm contributing to the recycling. But that is a new topic...

Never. We do have paper plates, but they're used more for covering things in the microwave or for a piece of toast or some chips/crisps as a snack, or for food prep. I weigh flour out on paper plates, for example.

I keep a supply of paper plates around for a couple simple purposes, 1) to use in the microwave for messy stuff, both to cover a microwavable dish and to use as a cover, and 2) as a photographic prop, usually against a black background.

Generally, I am beyond having guests over, but as I am now living in an apartment community, who knows?

Paper plates and plastic cutlery: only if we're having a party in the garden, though I'd prefer non-plastic for the cutlery.
Plastic glasses: we have some polycarbonate ones for use in the hot tub (no glass allowed in there), but even a garden party requires proper glassware.

Plastic cutlery...I've had too many instances of that stuff breaking, either while trying to cut through something or actually in my mouth. They're a health hazard, AFAIC.

I don't particularly like eating outside, but I'm getting better about it, and one of the things that makes it tolerable is decent dinnerware. When we bought our first picnic basket, we made sure it included proper ceramic plates, which wasn't as easy as it would seem. Most now use plastic/melamine. Paper plates would just blow away in the breeze.

Melamine is one I am okay with. I replaced my ceramic cereal bowls for melamine because the ceramic ones were all chipped. I must be a savage eating my breakfast cereal.

Back
Top Bottom