Dish of the month (April 2022): risotto

I just saw a few recipes callig for cream. One was from Bon Appétit.
Yeah, no doubt they exist, there's a recipe for any possible situation I'm sure. If it's the one using whipped cream from Bon Appetit the cream is used as a fix from screwing up making risotto in the first place. Other risotto recipes from BA don't use cream. Adding whipped cream at the very end of making a risotto would add an extra layer of luxury that many would appreciate and if that is what someone is inclined to do, then go for it. I like a fairly loose risotto and adding cream would probably take away from the dish but if it's adding to a stodgy quite stiff risotto it may help. Personally I think it's important to try and understand risotto in the Italian tradition first before we start changing it. Saying that I personally wouldn't mark against a risotto that had cream in the ingredient list. cheers

Last edited:
Yeah, no doubt they exist, there's a recipe for any possible situation I'm sure. If it's the one using whipped cream from Bon Appetit the cream is used as a fix from screwing up making risotto in the first place. Other risotto recipes from BA don't use cream. Adding whipped cream at the very end of making a risotto would add an extra layer of luxury that many would appreciate and if that is what someone is inclined to do, then go for it. I like a fairly loose risotto and adding cream would probably take away from the dish but if it's adding to a stodgy quite stiff risotto it may help. Personally I think it's important to try and understand risotto in the Italian tradition first before we start changing it. Saying that I personally wouldn't mark against a risotto that had cream in the ingredient list. cheers
I typically don't follow recipes. I was just mentioning it, and actually found it odd, really. I've never tasted one with cream in it.

If I need help I'll just ask one of my husband's many Italian American cousins. There are about 20 of them nearby I know can cook a variety of old school Italian dishes. A few of the others don't cook at all, lol.

My mushroom risotto has just a splash of cream to finish instead of butter. My other risotto recipes don't call for it but it whitens the mushroom dish & adds a certain something.

Here´s an easy risotto to make - asparagus. Just chopped asparagus, a little bit of onion and/or garlic, a glug of dry white wine, stock, and stir, stir, stir!
I made this a while ago and definitely should have made the photo (and the dish) more attractive by arranging some asparagus spears on top. Never mind; asparagus is pretty cheap over here at the moment, so maybe I´ll give it another go.

Here´s an easy risotto to make - asparagus. Just chopped asparagus, a little bit of onion and/or garlic, a glug of dry white wine, stock, and stir, stir, stir!

That's the way to do it. As you say - simple is best when it comes to risotto.

Never mind; asparagus is pretty cheap over here at the moment, so maybe I´ll give it another go.

I bought some asparagus recently and it turns out its flown all the way from Mexico. Cheap indeed given the air miles. It should be asparagus season here soon though.

My criteria when buying food is:
a) is it fresh?
b) is it worth what I´m paying for it?
c) is it what I want?

I´m too old to worry about whether it´s organic, or whether it´s plant-based, or whether it´s been ethically registered with the WHO - if I want it, I buy it, and I don´t give a monkey´s where it came from.

Simple really is best with risotto. My partner probably would have eaten & enjoyed the mushroom risotto but because he’s such a carnivore I added ham last night and I have to say I think I prefer it without. Or maybe some peas would have given it a bit of fresh pop but unfortunately there are none in the house right now.

Ham and mushroom risotto

My criteria when buying food is:
a) is it fresh?
b) is it worth what I´m paying for it?
c) is it what I want?

I´m too old to worry about whether it´s organic, or whether it´s plant-based, or whether it´s been ethically registered with the WHO - if I want it, I buy it, and I don´t give a monkey´s where it came from.

At my age, I could simply not care, especially about my carbon footprint. I'll be dead before the really bad stuff happens. But, I figure folks my age are leaving behind enough of a mess, with global warming and huge national debts, I can at least try to minimize my divot, and fill it when possible.

As a lifelong camper, I've always lived by the rule of always leaving a campsite better than when you arrived. I'd like to do my tiny part in leaving the world that way.

CD

At my age, I could simply not care, especially about my carbon footprint.
I thought a carbon footprint was what you left when you stamped out the embers of the campfire...
But I digress.
Good thing about risotto, however, is that if there´s any left over, you can turn it into arancini the following day:

I thought a carbon footprint was what you left when you stamped out the embers of the campfire...
But I digress.
Good thing about risotto, however, is that if there´s any left over, you can turn it into arancini the following day:
View attachment 83098
That’s my very favourite thing about risotto.

My kids aren’t huge fans of risotto but one time I made a big batch of pumpkin risotto then turned it into arancini.

They disappeared so fast.

But I digress.
View attachment 83098

Arancini! Thanks for the idea. In cajun country, they have something called Boudin Balls, which are breaded and deep fried balls of (wait for it) boudin. I've been wanting to make arancini for a long time.

CD

Back
Top Bottom