Dish of the month (April 2022): risotto

Yeah, I'm torn on how long I'll need to cook my very first Risotto... I'm not a fan of 'al dente' par say, I think I'd prefer "cooked a little more" and have more creamy goodness, just my thought...
For risotto, if you take a grain out of the pan and squeeze it against your cutting board and you feel resistance and you check and see the middle is still hard, then it's undercooked. If it totally mashes into nothing then it's overcooked. Basically you want a slightly resistant center. Cheers.

I don't like al dente risotto. I also don't like a runny risotto -- I like a little tighter sauce.

CD
Hmmm, I'm going to try that... I think that I would like a tighter, creamy sauce and the grains not hard, but not mushy either ...

Here´s another risotto I made a while back - with carnaroli rice.
Why I chose red pepper and mushrooms, I´ve got no idea. Probably because they were there!

I was making congee, which is just rice porridge. Essentially the same components as risotto, but simple. If risotto seems fussy, make congee and just reduce to a thicker consistency. Won't be the same toothsome wise, but flavor wise will be pretty similar. Short grain rice is great here.

IMG_1494.JPG

Lunch for moi.
It was okay I guess, but boy, what a PITA!
I made a half recipe using my homemade Chicken Stock, it tasted perfectly seasoned, but a bit too al dente for my taste.
I'll make Arancini with the leftovers, as TastyReuben did.
I'm not really sure that I would make this dish again though.
And now I have all of this Arborio Rice left :facepalm:

I'm making a baked risotto today. It's much easier. I'll update you tomorrow, but essentially it's cook the onions in an ovenproof pan, add the risotto rice and stock and put it into the oven with a lid on it. Then a few additions at the very end and you're done.

I'm making a baked risotto today. It's much easier. I'll update you tomorrow, but essentially it's cook the onions in an ovenproof pan, add the risotto rice and stock and put it into the oven with a lid on it. Then a few additions at the very end and you're done.
Yes please.

View attachment 83285

Lunch for moi.
It was okay I guess, but boy, what a PITA!
I made a half recipe using my homemade Chicken Stock, it tasted perfectly seasoned, but a bit too al dente for my taste.
I'll make Arancini with the leftovers, as TastyReuben did.
I'm not really sure that I would make this dish again though.
Don’t be discouraged, you’ve made it the one time. My first one was gummy, but the second one was much improved.

I don’t even like rice that much (apart from rice pudding), but I’m sure I’ll make it again. It’s something I liked doing - standing there and minding it closely.

For the arancini, I used a basic recipe from The Kitchn. I forgot to mention a key ingredient - the tiny knob of cheese tucked inside.

That’s how I’ve read is the best way to make risotto using brown rice, which I’m interested in trying.

Back
Top Bottom